Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro Z/28 (24 June **Under Glass**)

taaron76

Nice work on the tires Tim. I think you'll be fine on the decals as far as the yellowing but the main thing with using old decals, if they have any serious age to them, especially Revell's decals, is they tend to either crack when applying, or they sometimes will curl on the edges from most of the glue being too aged and not activating when wet, and the curling sometimes doesn't show itself until you apply the clear coat. I had that happen to me on a old Revell boss 302 kit I bought at a swap meet once. it ruined a otherwise perfect paint job. If your not sure, and dont want to trust them, there are plenty of people making aftermarket 69 Z28 decals out there. just google search for them. Ive done the window bleaching thing a few times and it's kinda hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Hi Jim,

I looked around and couldn't find any. I might just use them as a template and spray the stripes, just to be safe.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted an update in a while, but I was able to get the base coat sprayed, along with the stripes.  I tried the decals out, but I just didn't like they way they turned out, so I decided to spray them on.  With the exception of that thin little stripe around the main stripe that I had to exclude, I'm happy.

Tim

25515378305471-vi.jpg

32515378312689-vi.jpg

37515378317705-vi.jpg

42515378322520-vi.jpg

IMG_0879-vi.jpg

IMG_4915-vi.jpg

IMG_5384-vi.jpg

IMG_7644-vi.jpg

Not sure how accurate you're trying to be but I'm pretty sure the stripes at the rear should end at the bottom edge of the rear face of the spoiler and should not extend onto the thin exposure of the deck lid. Either way, paint color is beautiful! 

Not sure how accurate you're trying to be but I'm pretty sure the stripes at the rear should end at the bottom edge of the rear face of the spoiler and should not extend onto the thin exposure of the deck lid. Either way, paint color is beautiful!

They shouldn't go all the way up to the rear window, either.

But back in the day I saw plenty of Camaros on the street that looked just like this, done at home, often with rattlecans. It's a definite "Day 2" or "High School Hot Rod" look.

Yes, I know the stripes end just short of the front end, as well as the rear window and just below the spoiler.  I am not going for 100% accuracy, especially since these stripes were painted on and I didn't use the decals.  If there was a way that I could paint the stripes to 100% correct, without it looking like garbage, I would have done that.  This was the safer plan of the two since that tiny stripes that hugs the main stripes is nearly impossible to mask, as well as round it off like the original.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but what I am saying is that it wasn't worth the hassle for me to try and attempt it.  I can live with that on this build and it really doesn't take anything away from it in my mind.  I like critiques because it challenges me to go above and beyond, but I can almost guarantee you that there won't be much else to critique on this one once it is finished. 

:D

Tim

When your going for that second or third owner look that might have done a little subtle customizing, then the stripes look just fine my friend. I would have worked them the same way if I were painting them. I've watched your builds long enough to know that this one will look outstanding when you complete it. 

When your going for that second or third owner look that might have done a little subtle customizing, then the stripes look just fine my friend.. 

Yup! And now you're free to put blue or yellow plug wires on it, or headers, or big rear tires, or whatever else you want to do.

Day 2 or HSHR builds can be a lot of fun! I know, I've got a couple of them going even as we speak. B)

I shot the clear this afternoon, which really makes the color come to life.  I put plenty of clear on in order to cover the edges of the stripes, but left plenty of room to wet sand buff if need be.  That clear will even out nicely after an hour or so.

Tim

IMG_6679-vi.jpg

IMG_2854-vi.jpg

Looks great, love that color! That clear really brings out the metallic in the blue, should be a great looking model when done.

Thanks, Mike!  The clear really brought the color out and the LeMans blue is a perfect match to the 1:1 I am building it after.

Tim

Nice work on the clear Tim. I agree the clear really made the blue pop. Sure wish I had time to work on another project, we just have so much going on with getting the house ready to sell and getting the motorhome prepped for travel that there is no time right now. But at least I can come on the site and watch everyone's great builds going on.

• 3 weeks later...

The cat's meow bud.......tha cat's meow!!!!

Thanks Joe!  BMF later today...

Finished up the brake lines, fuel lines and emergency brake cables on the '69 Camaro. Since this is stock build, there wasn't too much to do. There are brake lines on top of the axle like the 1:1, but you can't see them. Part of the problem of doing all the detailing, but not being able to see them... but you know you have to do it.

IMG_1946-vi.jpg

IMG_4893-vi.jpg

IMG_5826-vi.jpg

IMG_6557-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have posted any progress pics on the '69 Camaro build of a friends car, but I finally took some pics tonight to post and share. I am currently re-chroming the bumpers tonight and then I can start buttoning it up. Interior is complete and the exterior is just waiting on the bumpers.

Tim

DSC_0639-vi.jpg

DSC_0640-vi.jpg

DSC_0641-vi.jpgDSC_0642-vi.jpg

DSC_0645-vi.jpg

DSC_0643-vi.jpg

DSC_0644-vi.jpg