Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Diecast dead?

tedd60

Yep, you need lots or room to have a 1:18 collection, so I just buy the ones I really like, or have/had in 1:1 scale. And I already have too many. The resin bodied cars are nice, but resin isn't as strong as zamac (pot metal) and as such, they can't have opening doors or hood, because the hinges wouldn't take any stress, and the roof pillars are more susceptible to damage. They are marketed as high-end collectibles and sold at a higher price, which may be a bad move for sales; as it can't cost more to produce a resin curbside car than a full-detail diecast car.

Auto Art makes opening cars with a type of resin. I have 5 of them and I'm pretty happy with this 'compromise' as these models are very nice, the details are crisp with a nice finish and the opening parts seem sturdy enough to be opened and closed more than just a couple times. So if instead the manufacturers would go this way, I'd continue collecting, if the regular full featured diecast (metal or plastic) disappear I'll stop collecting because I really dislike featureless static resin models.

• 1 month later...

So I'll be having an eBay die-cast sale soon.  One item that seems to be really collectible - of all things - is the ERTL 1/18 "American Muscle" release of the car from "The Car" - that horrible 1977 horror movie with James Brolin.  It's a Lincoln Mark III modified by George Barris.

According to a die-cast fan page, nobody knows exactly how many of those ERTL made. Apparently not many.  Checking eBay "Completed Auctions," they seem to routinely go for more than $100, sometimes a lot more. 

Wish I had known about this last summer when I gave away a bunch of my diecasts on Craigslist, including this one (out of box though) since I figured I wouldn't get any good money for them. <_<

• 2 months later...