Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hints and Tips needed / Repainting old models

Hi All,

I have several old models that have sat in my workshop for years, that originally where not that badly built or painted. Problem is they have over time have got all dusty and grimy.

(spray paint residue in the air, general grime and cigarette smoke :unsure:)

Has any body got any tips on restoring / dismantling these models to re-spar them, and return to their former glory.

Thanks, all help appreciated. 

I would suggest first carefully disassembling them (try wetting them thoroughly and then putting them in the freezer... that should hopefully loosen the glue joints), then giving them a good long soak in your paint stripper of choice (Like Purple Power or Scalecoat). Then scrub them well in warm water with dish soap and an old toothbrush.  That should remove the paint, dirt and grime.  Then you can start the restoration work.  Good luck.

If you don't want to strip the paint, just clean them up, disassemble as much as possible, then clean all parts with dishwashing soap and warm water. A large soft paintbrush or old toothbrush will work well for this.

After everything's cleaned up, it's just a matter of IRAN (Inspect & Repair As Necessary) and reassemble.

This '67 Corvette I recently restored is a good illustration of what a little TLC can accomplish. And, it's a lot of FUN!

I would suggest first carefully disassembling them (try wetting them thoroughly and then putting them in the freezer... that should hopefully loosen the glue joints), then giving them a good long soak in your paint stripper of choice (Like Purple Power or Scalecoat). Then scrub them well in warm water with dish soap and an old toothbrush.  That should remove the paint, dirt and grime.  Then you can start the restoration work.  Good luck.

Thanks for advice, it was how to disassemble without breaking them that worried me the most. Now I know how.?

If you don't want to strip the paint, just clean them up, disassemble as much as possible, then clean all parts with dishwashing soap and warm water. A large soft paintbrush or old toothbrush will work well for this.

After everything's cleaned up, it's just a matter of IRAN (Inspect & Repair As Necessary) and reassemble.

This '67 Corvette I recently restored is a good illustration of what a little TLC can accomplish. And, it's a lot of FUN!

Thanks also for your advice, I have a few that need some tlc, I think I will look at them all individually before jumping in and deciding that re-painting is the way to, I may get away with a good cleaning on a couple of them.

Great job on the corvette, that give me some inspiration and confidence on restoring my lot.