Model Cars Magazine Forum

Assembly line Fords

Eric Macleod

I am working on completing a project. One of the first steps was to create a diorama where the cars will be displayed. Inspired by Brizio's work with Cobras I am working to complete my set of the Improved Fords-the 1926-7 cars. Already done are the Touring, the Fordor and the Runabout. I decided the Tudor, the Coupe and the Roadster Pickup (odd, it seems they would have called it the Runabout Pickup, but Ford did not) would be build assembly line style as a group. Without further ado, here is the beginning of the completion of the project.

20170402_101156_zps0tmbbqax.jpg20170402_101250_zps6wqdkimi.jpg

Isn't it interesting to compare the different AMT Ford chassis? They made a considerably number of changes over the years. The chassis to the left is the most current with the middle chassis a 1963-4 version out of a very old kit I bought to use as a doner. Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the coming of spring I have been derailed on this project a bit. To my good fortune my 1:1 scale '13 Ford won a National 1st in the Historic Preservation of Original Features (HPOF) award at the AACA meet in Auburn last weekend. To celebrate I decided to do some more work on my chassis projects and use a couple Hoosier made cars in the background. 20170516_071508_zpszf67wfnj.jpg

Very interesting subject. It sounds like you have more than an average knowledge of these cars. Congratulations on your 1:1 prize. I'm glad to see more builders building authentic stock builds. It seems to many of us, and I'm definitely one, build Hot Rods or some other sort of build and to few pay attention to the original car.   

It does help to have the best '26 Touring extant in my garage to use as a reference,  though I probably could do the same job using From Here to Obscurity as a desk reference. Make no mistake though, my ability to restore a 1:1 car is miles ahead of my model making skills. If I can assemble a reasonably good set here I'll be happy.  Tonight the chassis all got shiny paint and I started detailing engines. With a push I'll have three rolling chassis by the end of the week. 

Thanks for posting this project.This my absolute favorite era as there are nearly endless variations that can be replicated in scale.So many of the people who lived in that time in our automotive history were innovators literally using whatever was at hand to turn them into race cars,trucks or tractors.Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

And, I'll add a completed '26 T Tudor for your mix!  I built this one in 2001, using several restoration reference books:  First the completed, but unpainted AMT '26-'27 T Touring chassis, and second, completed using the Revell Buttera '26 T Sedan delivery, converted to stock Tudor sedan configuration:  (I think I had it at the Gilmore for our model car hobby seminar in February of last year?

Art

1926-27 Model T Chassis, fully detailed1.jpg

27 T underside.jpg

27 T right side view.jpg

I do recall seeing the Tudor. If I can make mine half as nice I will feel very good about my model! I have made some decisions not to go too crazy on the chassis of any of these models though I want to do one more version of the '26 Touring (a model of my own 1:1 car shown below) to reflect how it looks today. That model will be an attempt to be highly detailed in my work. I will probably also build an enclosed cab pickup at some point; this is not a car that Ford ever produced but would be neat looking just the same. Thanks to all for your comments!

eyes on show.jpg.rs.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
clarification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was a rough summer but I just got some paint on everything. I am under deadline for the Times so these will have to get done soon. None will be prize winners, just something nice to have on my shelf. I have decided I do not like the Emerald Green on the wheels of the coupe. The pickup will get red wheels and the tudor will get black wheels. Thanks for looking.

T coupe prog.RS.jpg

t pickup.rs.jpg

t tudor rs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One of the most difficult (actually THE most difficult) parts of my buildup of my '26 Runabout was the top. Part of the way through my completion of fitting the top it hit me that if I was going to have a complete set of the Improved Fords, I would need to do the entire job of fitting the top to the model a second time, as the Roadster Pickup has the exact same top. I finally have that second top the way I want it. I believe I will finally be able to move progress ahead a little faster now. The next sort of tedious job will be making improvements on the wheels, all 15 of them! I am also altering some things on the hoods of all three cars so they fit better. I still have a goal of having all 6 cars done in time to meet a magazine publication deadline looming in mid-December.

runabout top.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I now have the Roadster Pickup chassis complete and I have the engine wired. As you can see I have some fit issues with the fenders but I am getting there. I am at a point where I will just finish the Roadster Pickup then will move on to the Coupe then the Tudor. Thanks for looking.

T roadster pu.rs.jpg