Model Cars Magazine Forum

Assembly line Fords

Eric Macleod

Excellent detailed work Eric, and the time taken to get it right will be well worth it. Like you I make good progress for a day or two then something goes badly, and it takes a few days of struggling to get back to where I was before, only with a better result. All part of the scale model building experience I guess.

David W.

The Coupe body is a Jimmy Flintstone resin transkit, as are the bodies for the Runabout and the Roadster Pickup. I have found these bodies fit best on the Revell fenders, though the fender set will require extensive modifications to sit properly on the stock AMT chasis. I am not a fast builder but set an absolute deadline for all six cars to be done by December 8 so I can meet a publication deadline. I think i can make it but I'm really pushing it now. The goal for tonight is getting paint on all the major body assemblies.  This includes the wheels for the tudor.

Thanks to everyone who has offered encouragement and words of support as I've plowed through this project. As you may have gathered I decided to go from most challenging to least, thus the Tudor is last. To be candid, I greatly underestimated the difficulty of creating the Roadster Pickup. 

More photos coming tomorrow. 

So here is the next update. I worked quite late on the coupe last night and worked on the tudor paint work as well. The coupe is probably a day away from final assembly and the tudor perhaps five days out. Barring a disaster, I think I'll make my deadline. The second photo gives you a good idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

improved fords mockup.jpg

coupe mockup 2.rs.jpg

This is an admirable project and quite complicated with multiple cars under construction at the same time. I might consider building a model TT semi tractor and flat bed trailer to display them on when finished. Thanks for taking the extra time to take a post your photos.

Tom, I really appreciate your comments. This has indeed been a labor of love and a tough one for all the reasons you cited above. The notion of adding a TT has crossed my mind but I never thought of a trailer and TT tractor. Just when you think you are close to being done...great idea though.

Here is the progress on the coupe so far. I had to remove the radiator assembly and replace it with an assembly sourced from the AMT kit. It is neither better nor worse than the Revell assembly but allowed the hood to fit better around the cowl. I have about half the scratch built interior in the body. I am solidly into final assembly and should have this one wrapped up today and should be on track to finish the Tudor by next Friday in time for my deadline. I know this photo is a bit of a mess but you can see all the little doo-dads around the car.

coupe mockup 3.jpg

Eric,I have a series of great photos of a model A Ford semi with a flat bed load of new Fords on  board that I will gladly email to you if you wish, Just Pm me your email address and I will forward them to you. I have also posted these pix onto my Pintrest album titled "antique trucks ".

21 hours ago, retriever said:

I'm interested in how you obtained the "patina" and the convertible top bows on the touring car in the background.  They both look very believable.

Tony

The patina of the touring...goid question.  The car itself is a depiction of the other 26 Touring as it was when I bought the 1:1 car. It had a kight blue hood and "hot rod" hand painted across the top. 

For the model I used a combination of flat blackpaint,  rust colored primer, dust off the floor and dry brushing. For the top frame I bent Evergreen parts to match the top frame of my 1:1 car using a bit of heat to help things along. 

Unlike any of the other cars in the photo, this was a one day project but works well in that garage. Thanks for the comment.

The Coupe is now complete and I'll have photos posted tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

The patina of the touring...goid question.  The car itself is a depiction of the other 26 Touring as it was when I bought the 1:1 car. It had a kight blue hood and "hot rod" hand painted across the top. 

For the model I used a combination of flat blackpaint,  rust colored primer, dust off the floor and dry brushing. For the top frame I bent Evergreen parts to match the top frame of my 1:1 car using a bit of heat to help things along. 

Unlike any of the other cars in the photo, this was a one day project but works well in that garage. Thanks for the comment.

The Coupe is now complete and I'll have photos posted tomorrow. 

Thanks for the answer Eric,  I'm really impressed how this turned out and I'll give it a try.

Tony

Here is the 98% complete coupe. I still have to glue down the body (hence the poor fit of the hood), add some scratch built door handles and a tail-lamp/license plate assembly. This one was a Jimmy Flinstone body (I think) Revell fenders, and a combination of various AMT '27 and '25 Model T kits. Looking at the photos, it appears that I did not adequately cover the body with paint but that is a reflection that is not evident when you see the model in person. I appreciate all the kind comments. One more to go, the '27 Tudor, which (knock on wood) should be the most straightforward. At least I don't have to completely scratch build an interior on that one.

coupe mockup 5.jpg

Coupe mockup 4.jpg

Here is my progress on the last of the set. This is my first mock-up but the wheels definitely will not make the cut. I needed something to assess the fit of the wheels inside of the fenders. Right now I am pleased that they look pretty good. I have all of the components less a stock dashboard done so this one will come together pretty fast. I am hoping by the first of next week to be posting photos of the completed 5 year project.

Tudor.jpg

Thanks for that Fabrizio. The garage is very much of a work in progress.  It represents what I would do with unlimited space and funding. I do a little bit more to it every time I complete a model. I think my kids like it better than I do.

I am in the final day of the Tudor build. Lilely my next post will be under glass...for all of them.