Model Cars Magazine Forum

wooden steering wheel

http://mediaprocessor.websimages.com/width/693/crop/192,162,300x225/i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u458/GeeBee1963/Fujimi Porsche 356 Convertible/2013-04-24155548.jpg

I do mine by airbrushing a light tan colour, usually Tamiya desert sand, then dry brushing with Tamiya bronze, then top coat with either clear yellow or orange, depending on the shade of wood your aiming for, for this i used clear orange 

Testors has Wood in enamel and Leather in acryl and either one of them would work. Unless you're building a roadster or convertible, the wood steering wheel isn't seen that much in a hard top.

Testor Wood is very light in color, about like balsa (I've used it for Flesh on occasion). They have the Leather in enamel too. It has a nice walnut-brown color.

But why not check out your local craft vendors for craft paints in browns? There will be dozens of shades available and these things are CHEAP compared to model paints. A wood wheel would seem to be just about an idea way to use these readily available, CHEAP paints. B)

While this isn't a steering wheel, I use the same method to create a wood finish on those as well.

I lay down a base of tan or other light color, then apply darker color with furniture touch-up markers. There is no clear coat applied to this, it's how the markers dry.

SAM_0411.thumb.JPG.a0f286f3a4944148c7ca4

This one has been slightly weathered using a dab of flat black and knocking off some of the shine.