Model Cars Magazine Forum

International 2500 Dump Updated 11/18/17

This build is well under way.  Took an old ERTL kit and shortened the frame, redid the rear suspension and moved some tanks around.  I still have details to add to the cab and started working on the dump body. 

165251799.jpg

165251800.jpg

Edited by Warren D

Thanks.  I worked for a local town in the 80's and we had a dozen of these things.  They always had an off-color orange that seemed to fade after just a year, yet seemed to keep it's shine.  I've decided that I'm going to have to sacrifice the tail gate on the dump body to be able to install a sander.  I was hoping I could make a few neat cuts and remove it intact but it doesn't seem likely that I can get it off in one piece.  I'm seeing it with the sander and plow anyway and if I really want a tailgate in the future, I guess I could build one.

I made some progress on the dump body.  Had to remove the tailgate to allow for the sander.  Then I discovered the AITM dump body is too wide for this build so I had to narrow it.  The cab shield has to be raised to clear the roof.  Working on the details and smoothing seems.  Had to make 2 cuts to narrow, one each side.  Went ok all considered.

165374760.jpg

165374759.jpg

That is coming along nicely! That dump body looks great, did you scratchbuild the plow set up or is that from the Ertl Ford kit?

The plow is from AITM, which closely resembles the ERTL Ford one.  I added some beef and the plow lights.

Edited by Warren D

Warren that dump body looks good 

Thanks.  I really didn't waant to go through the fuss to narrow it for a little 0.10" per side but it just didn't look right the way it was.  Odd how just a little off the sides can improve the look by so much.  I have to get the cab shield back on, them it's off to primer where I'll see what else needs fixing.

Meanwhile, I got the plow together last night, pics to come once I finish the detail work.