Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Gluebomb Refurbish

Twokidsnosleep

Thank you. Sorry again about those enormous photos

That specific material is Structur 2 SC by Voco... a self curing composite material for crown and bridge.

It is an auto mix syringe type delivery so allows you to squirt right into a channel in the mould.... vs spatula mixing which dentistry has moved away from in many cases

The products are not cheap, but are readily available to me, so I used what I have. Worked OK ish

Thanks! I know they aren't cheap and hadn't even contemplated using the temporary materials for this. Good idea! I have used restorative composites in the past but was limited by the light penetration. It  didn't dawn on me to use a self cure resin for this. Its so obvious now (I should quit my job lol). 

• 1 month later...

So I am back at this build while I avoid house work and other projects I need to finish

Made progress with the rear deck and will likely pose it open to show the engine and hide my questionable fitment.

Will make brake disks, shift linkage and turnable front wheels...that is the plan at least

IMG_2728.thumb.JPG.d3ba7006d353f00b9798cIMG_2725.thumb.JPG.a16563507328d840f7884IMG_2726.thumb.JPG.52c1a809a18dc2927720dIMG_2727.thumb.JPG.cd46c8bdb0638de4f51fb

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Working on the underbelly...front and rear suspension. 

I added brass pins to the front wheel assembly and some aluminum inserts to the front wheel arms for strength and a positive seat. This lets the wheels steer, just have to devise a tie rod between the wheels now.

Rear has new brass shocks, not much else.

Both will get disk brakes and rotors of some sortIMG_2750.thumb.JPG.56359439711e10f007350

Wow, you have my respect and admiration for that effort! I have a small collection of 1/24 Fujimi 911 kits from '67 to '85 911s, I bought in order to mix parts and make a few 911s that don't exist in kit form. As a result I have many spare parts! Drop me a line if you're looking for something in particular, I'd be glad to make a donation if I can.  Also - Scale Production makes a nice line of 911 parts: bumper retrofits, headlight and tail light retrofits, wheels, seats, even straight race headers. Hard to find but there is also a seller from OZ on Ebay who deals in Scale Production parts.

I like where this is going. 

Thanks, not the easy route, but a fun exercise

Have been working on the tie rod. Copied the plastic tubing and replaced with telescoping brass. I am being lazy and using CA glue instead of silver soldering which I just don't feel like doing for it.

Just need to link the rod to either side with a pivot, hmmm gotta think on that a bitIMG_2752.thumb.JPG.70667f606249e944ba1be

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

• 1 month later...

Very nice work!  Saving old glue and paint bombs is more fun and satisfying to me than a new build.  Have you ever tried Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store?   It’s cheap and really works way better for me than oven cleaner or brake fluid.  Depending on the build up, I’ve soaked for a week before and most of the glue even broke up.  I swear by it.  

Very nice work!  Saving old glue and paint bombs is more fun and satisfying to me than a new build.  Have you ever tried Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store?   It’s cheap and really works way better for me than oven cleaner or brake fluid.  Depending on the build up, I’ve soaked for a week before and most of the glue even broke up.  I swear by it.  

Hmm never tried that.

Lots of different ways to strip and seems the combo of oven cleaner and then the air abrasion for tough spots works well for me.

It is fun to restore and old glue bomb or a partially started kit that has gone off the rails for someone. I have a Pocher Alfa Romeo partial start glue bomb that looks like someone got in over their head with. That is my holy grail of bomb restoration projects...one day

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, Twokidsnosleep said:

Think I have decided on a body colour ...Tamiya Metallic BlueIMG_2605.thumb.JPG.96942b63d8458e9f41974

Engine is pretty much done

IMG_6058.thumb.JPG.5c42c284ffd85146729fcIMG_6041.thumb.JPG.9bad9df26c3858228b814IMG_6040.thumb.JPG.4ceea85fe3edae5704373IMG_6039.thumb.JPG.dc59d6f4f01e516f76832

Holy cow these are big pictures, sorry. I will post them from flickr next time and reduce the size more...otherwise you can see all my mistakes;)

I have a couple of those junkyard Monogram Porsches too, but I never could get past those bad stock wheels and Good Year gatorbacks (front & rear same size,  wrong tires). But after seeing what you did with that engine, swapping out the wheels and the idea of making it a targa roof,  I may be inspired to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

But $14 for shipping, RUOK?

On 8/7/2017 at 7:25 AM, Twokidsnosleep said:

Thanks Dan....I seem to be taking the long, slow and stupidly hard road of refurbishing.

Not sure why, but I do find it satisfying to restore the bombs.

I know why its so satisfying,  it's the satisfaction of recycling something worthwhile out of someone else's junk. I like to work from glue bombs because there is no pressure to have to succeed with it,  it was acquired cheaply and it's next step was the parts box or the trash - so what have you got to lose? The canvas is wide open to build it however you want,  and there's no guilt in ruining an unbuilt kit. 

I find my creativity is more free to redesign it into whatever I want and if it doesn't work out,  what have I lost? 

Good luck - and stay inspired! 

• 6 months later...

Somehow this one snuck back onto my desk

Well I wanted to try out the Splash Paints is really the reason...and to avoid a frustrating bomber I am building

SO the rear deck is primed and black spoiler painted. Then I dropped it, twice and got a crack line where the whale connects to the deck:blink:

Got the windshield frame re-cemented and one side fabricated. Then all in primer before some final touch ups 

We are going to go Splash Miami Blue

IMG_0436.thumb.JPG.53a4cf755f192cea9336ded72c7ada3d.JPG

IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.6be99f72692ba892d374d3070fd6a363.JPG