Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is it called a "California" Hauler 359 ??

I will give you my version.....I have lived in Michigan all my life (except 3 years in Germany) and I have visited relatives in California many times plus travelled to many other states.  I always notice trucks in California usually have a big gap between the fifth wheel and the tractor, even with two trailer setups.  I always asked my relatives why but never got an answer I believed.  I am pretty sure that you don't see a setup like that in Michigan and other states because the restrictions on overall length force them to cram tractor and trailer(s) together to get the maximum payload.  Any Californians have any input?

This is a pic of The California Hauler I recently built.  I had it all done box stock) and coupled it with a Revell auto transport trailer.  I really did not like the gap between the cab and the front of the trailer so I cut 1 1/8 out of the frame and reassembled it.  I think this looks more reasonable now.  1 1/8 would be 2" 3" in 1-1

Ca. Hauler 1.jpg

Wheels of Time has now added a model truck column written by Lee Hartman.  After belonging to ATHS for over 30 years and getting WoT as part of the membership, I'm really pleased that they've added model trucks to the magazine.  If you love older trucks, this is the group to join.  In addition to WoT, they also do a separate publication with a photo of every truck registered at their national convention.  A great bonus for memebers from all over the world.

A.J.

Talked with a friend and this is what he had to say on the kit....

"Well, if my old memory serves, it had something to do with the fact that the Pete 359 was built in Newark, California, plus what the one fellow on the MCM board said about the distance between the rear of the cab, the c/l of the 5th wheel and the c/l of the rear wheels (called the 'bogie').

After in-house discussions at AMT and then with Peterbilt, it was decided that the kit would be based on an owner/operator rig rather than a "fleet" tractor.  Choosing an owner/operator (over-the-road) tractor meant also considering such things as a sleeper compartment and overall length limits of tractor/trailer combinations allowed on US highways at that time (even for a scale model).

That basically determined the dimensions of the "Pete 359 California Hauler" kit.  The T-500 kit wasn't just picked out of thin air; it had been researched.  In fact, the kit proposal had been rejected by AMT management twice, before finally getting the green light in 1969."
Edited by Luc Janssens

AMEN!   The big ATHS show in Des Moines, IA is next month !

May 25 - 27.   Can't wait !!!

The Des Moines show is gonna be really special.  The "Movin 'On" Kenworth is going to be there and so will the "BJ and the Bear" Kenworth cabover.

A "two-fer"  !!

By the way -- has anyone else noticed how the re-issued 359 "California Hauler" kits have pretty much disappeared ?   My LHS didn't think they were discontinued, but boy you just don't see them anywhere right now.  I got the last one at my LHS, and haven't seen them anywhere online lately (except ebay).

In fact, the kit proposal had been rejected by AMT management twice, before finally getting the green light in 1969."

Interesting, IMO, AMT management probably didn't want to venture in large truck models at all, any make or  any configuration. During this time as well,  period pickup truck models were not big on their priorty list also.

Edited by leafsprings