Model Cars Magazine Forum

Marshall Teague's USAC '56 Chevy

LUKE'57

After having been a major force in Nascar's early years in Hudson Hornets Marshall defected to USAC to get on the road to Indy for the 500. Here's his '56 ride built from that "unbuildable" Revell kit from the '60's with all the opening, working fiddley pieces. Nothing like welding everything up solid for a race car to solve the fit problem. B)

R11.jpg

• 9 months later...

This has always been one of my favorites! Great job on the photography, as always! So back in the day they made a 55 post sedan with openig doors and such? Before my time, I guess. I have built the 55 Hardtop, and am inclined to agree with you guys. It makes agood short tracked when the doors are a little cock-eyed and the glue looks like welds. Adds a little character, I think. Hate to try to build a custom or factory stock with them!

So back in the day they made a 55 post sedan with openig doors and such? Before my time, I guess.

No Slim, this is a '56. The '55 and '57 in the opening "everything" kits were hardtops and only the '56 was a post car. I used to cut the roof, cowl and top of the quarter panels off the '56 in one piece to add to the '55 with the '56 doors to make the '55 post cars that were running at our tracks back then and even some with just the '55 front sheet metal because that's the way they built some of the real cars around here too. Did away with thoe big bulky head light area and the heavy wrap around cast pot metal parking light housings on the '56 that would leave a huge gap in the fender when you took'em out.

Thanks Mark, here's the "mate" to it in black, Smokey's ride for Herb Thomas, also from the early Revell kit. There's more "welding" on the body than there is on the roll cage. LOL

R12.jpg

Another beauty, Jerry!! Some day I will build Rex's 1956 "X" car Chevy.