Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Fairlane Question

i recently scored an old 66 Fairlane body. It's in pretty good shape. It's not like the AMT kits body though. This one is molded in a bright white color, and has the "Fairlane " molded into the rear fenders. Also, it has the front shock towers, with the shocks showing through, and the radiator cast into the body as well. Anyone know what kit this is? I'd like to build up a drag car out of it. Thanks......

IMG_1674.JPG

Edited by Brutalform
Add pic

Also, I tried to fit the AMT Fairlane GTA hood on it and the hood is smaller all the way around.

Tom,  you have an original AMT 66 annual  Fairlane GT body, and a nice find that is. They are very crisp and beautifully molded, however the newer issue part's are not interchangeable in some area's. I know from being on ebay  even recently, that one of the resin sellers make's replacement hood's and such for this body. However, fitting your newer issue hood to be used is possible by adding plastic strip's to the edge's, then when satisfied, filing and sanding all to fit. I have used this method with great success on other car's in the past. Hope any of this helps.....the Ace...:D/////// the ebayer is t. m. resin, and presently he has 67 original hood's for sale, stock and tear drop, but it's worth an email to him as I think he make's 1966 hood's for your application as well.....the Ace..

Edited by AC Norton
text

Thanks Ace. The hood is t my real concern. I just had one handy to try. If the frame and interior works from the regular AMT kits, I'll be in business. Thanks for the info on the hood, as I was going to go with an aftermarket resin hood.  Just wasn't sure of it would fit, but you answered that for me. Come to think of it, I recall sanding down the sides of a teardrop resin hood to fit the Fairlane 427 I built.

Thanks Ace. The hood is t my real concern. I just had one handy to try. If the frame and interior works from the regular AMT kits, I'll be in business. Thanks for the info on the hood, as I was going to go with an aftermarket resin hood.  Just wasn't sure of it would fit, but you answered that for me. Come to think of it, I recall sanding down the sides of a teardrop resin hood to fit the Fairlane 427 I built.

....I built your original back in 1982 as a super/ stocker when we didn't have these newer kit's for donor part's, but I really don't know what will or won't swap....the newer kit is much better in most other area's except the body....the original is great IMO.....the Ace....^_^

The original has the correct windshield and rear window heights. The newer AMT is very off on both windows and requires a rework if you want to make it look "right". AMT did both a 66 and a 67 as annuals back in the day, both bodies are excellent, mostly.

I have some parts from an incomplete GTA kit. And the bumpers fit nicely. Also the glass will work. Comparing this body to my built 427 R car, it appears the chassis will work also. This old body in question has the realistic rear taillight bezels that will also work with the newer red taillights. These look way more realistic than the newer lights. I can buy a GTA kit for the frame and suspension. I can even use the 390 block, fitted with the 427 dual quad manifold to resemble a 427. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it wrong to wonder why, with the more accurate original bodies not too hard to find, the more recent re-issues and new offerings turn out the way they do ?  :blink::P

mike

Edited by mk11

I've been on a tractor trailer kick lately. Probably because I've been off work for 8 months, with my back injury, and can't drive mine. But, anyway, I bought a teardrop hood, and have been messing around with the fit of everything else. Had to remove about 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of the shock towers. Also will build a new radiator support from styrene sheet. Then when I get a few pics taken, I'll post them up.