Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shizouka Hobby Show 2017

So it's getting to be around that time of year again.  The actual show itself is May 11th-14th, but the pre-orders for new products are starting to trickle out, starting with Hasegawa.

In addition to several off the shelf reissues, including the AE101 Corolla Levin Gr. A race car with corrected race suspension, there are three kits that merit a quick overview do to tooling variations.

Honda N360T (aka NII Touring) - The next variation of the N360 tooling, the only new piece here is the front grille.

10460295a.jpg

Next up the Suzuki Jimny JA11-1.  This is the next variant of this tooling, which is actually a back-dating to 1990 (the first issue of the kit was a 1995).  Getting a new front grille & bumper, new mirrors, along with a new stick shift & steering wheel.

10460297a.jpg

Last but not least is the NEW tool kit for the show.  What was it again...oh right the double deuce to Revell of Germany for dragging it's feet forever on this subject matter

BMW 2002tii

10460288b.jpg

Now I'm sure that the griping will begin as soon as I hit "Submit Topic" that it's a curbside.  But it will include two different style bumper guards, tail lights, and mirrors to make an early('71) & late('73) version.  Also know as we sit here in talking about these, that N360 is the THIRD variant of that tooling, so there will be additional 2002s in the pipeline - like the post-'73 Turbo.

Last but not least is the NEW tool kit for the show.  What was it again...oh right the double deuce to Revell of Germany for dragging it's feet forever on this subject matter

BMW 2002tii

10460288b.jpg

Now I'm sure that the griping will begin as soon as I hit "Submit Topic" that it's a curbside.  But it will include two different style bumper guards, tail lights, and mirrors to make an early('71) & late('73) version.  Also know as we sit here in talking about these, that N360 is the THIRD variant of that tooling, so there will be additional 2002s in the pipeline - like the post-'73 Turbo.

GREAT news, Thanks for sharing James!

My grandfather on my mother-side had one, my father drove it once when he and my mom took a little vacation to the seashore (a two hour drive at the time), and he said it was one fast car.

Also think Larry Greenberg is about to go nuts when he finds out about this one...;)

The Honda's are a nice little kit, I picked a few up last year when I was in Japan, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few more this year, as I only managed to get the first issued version,which was the N11,the early version was released after that, nice little engine to build though ....

Dumb, Revell AG.  Reaaaaalllly dumb.  Y'allz can REDEEM yourselves with a 3.0CSL, though, if you get off your thumbs pronto.

Personally, I am not really interested in a CSL, since they have been kitted before (not well in 1:24, but still). Pop out a 2.8 or 3.0 coupe without flares or spoilers, and I will definitely be interested. Bring on the 2002's!!!

Aoshima is next up tonight, and the vast majority of their stuff is the continued repackaging existing kits and wheels into their three new marketing lines - The Model Car, The Tuned Model Car, and The Tuned Parts

But there are three tooling updates that merit further inspection

2015 Toyota Crown Athlete. This is the worst kept secret in town, Aoshima has been making Crown Royal Saloon & Crown Athlete kits in pairs since 2002.  So with the refreshed Crown Royal kit coming out at the end of 2016, this was a foregone conclusion.  New front fascia parts and new taillights highlight the newly tooled pieces

10460420b.jpg

Lamborghini Diablo GT-R - This is the race spec version of the Diablo GT. Also an open secret since the GT was announced, this is about 75% new parts sharing only the basic chassis architecture and engine block with the street car.  Only 30 of these were ever made to race in their own little ione-make race series.

10460418b.jpg

Lastly one that I think a lot of people would have expected a couple of years ago when this relationship was announced, but instead Aoshima worked on issuing the classic car designs they were doing instead.  We finally render a bunch of really expensive Hobby Design transkits moot with...the Liberty Walk Nissan GT-R.

10460482b.jpg

They could also redeem themselves with a nicely done E30 3-Series. 

or some modern BMWs.  Would really like to see some of the current models kitted like the M2, M3, M4, M5 or the gorgeous M6 Gran Coupe. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Aoshima have done it to me again! After waiting years for them to do the LB GTR I gave up & brought the Eightyone LB transkit ($75USD) & The Tamiya Kit ($66us) to make what I wanted, glad I finished it last year, although now I can go & buy the Aoshima for 30% of the cost & do another one....