Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kustom 41 Plymouth

tabsscale1

Looks just like a Barris custom of old. I like your grill idea, it makes the front end smoother than stock. The head lights seem almost to large, it may be just the angle at which they were photographed. Nice to see the Chopped Top at a realistic height.

Looks just like a Barris custom of old. I like your grill idea, it makes the front end smoother than stock. The head lights seem almost to large, it may be just the angle at which they were photographed. Nice to see the Chopped Top at a realistic height.

They are the size of the originals just they are in a chrome piece that I didn't like so using some froma blueprinter set

Well I got some paint on this First time using Rustoleum paint First coats came out ok but had to fix some stuff so sanded that down. Then the second coat wrinkled the paint down the driver side and hood. I sanded that down then shot some more color. After that set I shot with ModelMaster wet look clear. Have to fix a few dust bunnies then shoot a couple more coats of clear.

Love the color choice and customization. Perfect for a late 40s-style taildragger.
I recently picked one of these up, and boy is a '41 Plymouth ever difficult to customize effectively. Everything I could think of made it look worse, not better. It either needed to go down (slammed) or up (4 wheel drive conversion??) in order to look proportionate.

The choices you've made are radical, but so far they seem to have worked!
-the fadeaway fenders add visual length to a very "fat" car...one that is difficult to section effectively because of the way the fenders blend into the hood and body. So the fadeaways are very effective.

-the frenched headlights remove the heavy quality of the stock bezels.

-the new grille adds visual width to the front of the car and gets rid of the eccentric stock grille and "V" nose. I tried some mockups of various grille replacement ideas, and didn't have access to any grilles that were tall AND wide enough to fill all the "dead space" on the front of the car. The Chevy grille is a bit angular, but fills all those spaces nicely.

Awesome work on a somewhat of a 'pig' design.  I built one into a short-track car and have another and was wondering what to do with it.  This build is giving me some inspiration.  Can you give us some details on how you did the fenders?  Those are really beautiful.

Awesome work on a somewhat of a 'pig' design.  I built one into a short-track car and have another and was wondering what to do with it.  This build is giving me some inspiration.  Can you give us some details on how you did the fenders?  Those are really beautiful.

The Fadeaway fenders are from a Revell 48 Ford kit that I cut and shaped to fit the body Then used putty to blend it all together

Very beautiful kustom, all the right mods!!!  Can't wait to see it finished.  It definately already has that taildragger look!!!????????