Model Cars Magazine Forum

Milner dragster updated pics 6/16/17

DrKerry

ok, I know this car has been done over and over again by people. However I'm taking it to a different level than I've seen. I'm using the Jawbreaker chassis, Tony Nancy front axle and mounting to be closer to the real car, a parts box small block mated to the in and out box from the Jawbreaker kit, and making the body from Evergreen Plastic and the clear parts are from the Garlit's Jammer kit...

a friend of mine is letting me borrow his MPC kit of the Milner Dragster just so I have size comparison of the tins!!! Anyway, here is where I am so far!!!

IMG_3010.thumb.JPG.dfd8581f415a57d28ad04

IMG_3011.thumb.JPG.6f60f0e378b27d4f66783

IMG_3012.thumb.JPG.8c3eaf0a89c1146a9a81f

IMG_3013.thumb.JPG.2a998e72b672da170a63f

Edited by DrKerry

Here's a thought - does the real car still exist?  The history and whereabouts of most of the AG cars are well documented but I have never seen reference to this one.

Love that chute pack, by the way.  Classic dragster styling at it's best!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Nick and Scott!!!!!

Alan, the real car was found not to long ago from what I found out, forget what website I saw the announcement. Only problem is is the fact nothing is being shown that I've found or seen. I have watched video clips on YouTube and I have the movie here too. I've taken a lot of still photos and zoomed in on a lot for good close ups!!! One thing I've noticed in the decals that have been out there is they don't go all the way under the engine and onto the side panels so I'm going to have to improvise on that one somehow!!!! The chute area on the body is how the real car looks from the tail. Looking at the videos it shows that detail on film...

Got to looking at the photos of the rail and realized the back of the body doesn't come down to a point so I smoothed off the back edge of the body. It is still just a slight bit longer and upward than the kit body is but not by very much.......

Here's a thought - does the real car still exist?  The history and whereabouts of most of the AG cars are well documented but I have never seen reference to this one.

Love that chute pack, by the way.  Classic dragster styling at it's best!

Cheers

Alan

Some good reading

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/more-american-graffiti-dragster.123698/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/john-milners-dragster.432838/

And  here is my version using a resin body and some decals a friend made a long time ago. Sadly he has passed away a few years ago. 

20130531_172110_zps14480db0.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

Some good reading

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/more-american-graffiti-dragster.123698/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/john-milners-dragster.432838/

And  here is my version using a resin body and some decals a friend made a long time ago. Sadly he has passed away a few years ago. 

20130531_172110_zps14480db0.jpg

yeah Jesse, that's where I read that they found the car and are beginning the restoration of it. Nothing has surfaced on it yet though!!!! I read both those threads about three weeks ago!!!!!!

i also looked at your build Jesse and kudos on the build!! Me and my A.D.D. are taking it a bit further though! Lol ? 

Were those decals made by Chris?? They are an nice set of decals!!!!!!

yeah Jesse, that's where I read that they found the car and are beginning the restoration of it. Nothing has surfaced on it yet though!!!! I read both those threads about three weeks ago!!!!!!

i also looked at your build Jesse and kudos on the build!! Me and my A.D.D. are taking it a bit further though! Lol ? 

Were those decals made by Chris?? They are an nice set of decals!!!!!!

Thanks! The Decals where done by my late friend Skip Samples, he actually modified them to fit the kit better as the original ones are a bit undersized. He also mastered the body and Fremont Resin sells/Sold it. 

If I could find someone to do decals I would have them duplicated. Also, I should have run the plug wires over the valve covers so they would be more visible  instead of under the zoomies. 

I know that the Cal Charger FED was being restored, but I have not heard a thing about the Milner car

Thanks! The Decals where done by my late friend Skip Samples, he actually modified them to fit the kit better as the original ones are a bit undersized. He also mastered the body and Fremont Resin sells/Sold it. 

If I could find someone to do decals I would have them duplicated. Also, I should have run the plug wires over the valve covers so they would be more visible  instead of under the zoomies. 

I know that the Cal Charger FED was being restored, but I have not heard a thing about the Milner car

ahh by Skip, I went on Fremont and checked them out there too.....  I did notice the decals on the kit are way short and don't cover the side panels under the engine!! 

Mill end up getting a pre wired distributed from Parks to put in it....

i heard the Milner rail was found and is being restored over on the H.A.M.B. Forum!!!!!!

Thanks Gabriel, just went over and tossed him a message... LOL Hope I'll hear back but not sure!!

Thank you John!!!!!!!!

I have the block, heads, intake and timing cover all painted and together... Next step is to start plumbing on the upper end of the engine!!!! Cinch up the shorts and away we go Daddy-o!!!!!!!!!

These are what helped me alot on my build. Most are what I capped myself from the movie. A few came from Jeff over at http://jeffsallgraffitiallthetime.blogspot.com/. Nice guy, hooked me up with the one of Milner on the front of the car and the one of the car with the tool kit on the motor.  I even asked Paul Le Mat a few questions on some of the detail and colors. He couldn't really remember to much about the dragster, but he's a nice guy to chat with. 

12.thumb.jpg.40f91adb31ccd2b7108d3d0a12a13.thumb.jpg.911fb7f25f092b8209fa9bc969c14.thumb.jpg.21b54c6fe6a57e6bceceecaba7e15.thumb.jpg.188d30e817bc4336b6abd27217819.thumb.jpg.657429d58596f3e697649f0fa6e

Edited by Blackkat13

The original decal sheet sheet might also help you out as well. I think the angle on the body from what the protractor read was a 38 degree or 39 angle I can't remember which angle it was unless I pull out my drafting supplies.  I matched it up with the photo that looks the most straightest of the car. CCI00011-vi.thumb.jpg.79395c9cfffbc00963

Thanks Art, I have most of those pics but not the one of Paul standing on top of the tires. Or the close up of the side over top the other dragster.. I watched video clips of the drag scenes and stopped it and took a bunch of stills of the car and close ups of some areas to get an idea of detail.... I used the one side shot of the car that is pretty close to scale when printed out and my body lays perfect inside of the photo of the real car. With that I'm hoping the angle on the rear of the body is on the money!!!!!! If I wasn't so hung up on this I'd ask Jimmy if he'd want to cast it... not sure how well it'd do if people can't get decals for it though!?!? 

Right now I have to find a color to match the color on the blower!!!! 

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!

It'd be kool to talk to Paul about the car and the movie and such!!!!! To think how well the movie has done and still how it's so popular even today!!!!!! I know they didn't think the movie would do to well and it's become a Hot Rod iconic movie!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to George Lucas!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Art, I have most of those pics but not the one of Paul standing on top of the tires. Or the close up of the side over top the other dragster.. I watched video clips of the drag scenes and stopped it and took a bunch of stills of the car and close ups of some areas to get an idea of detail.... I used the one side shot of the car that is pretty close to scale when printed out and my body lays perfect inside of the photo of the real car. With that I'm hoping the angle on the rear of the body is on the money!!!!!! If I wasn't so hung up on this I'd ask Jimmy if he'd want to cast it... not sure how well it'd do if people can't get decals for it though!?!? 

Right now I have to find a color to match the color on the blower!!!! 

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!

I got the body/decals from Southern Hobby but the decals sucked.  I had to learn how to make my own decals.  Testors White Decal Paper, Testors Bonding Spray, and Testors Clear Spray. Then after a few coats they worked out nice.  I have a HP Inkjet printer, and it all worked out really good.  Best to make your own, and do test prints before your final print. This way you'll save the decal paper for the end, and not waste it. Clear paper works but the colors will be darker on the yellow. I had to turn the Testors paper sideways to get my flames to turn out for me, and the  same with the old decal sheet. All I can say is test prints, and resize your prints. That's how I was able to get the plates on the coupe to the right size.

http://stores.smhracing.com/john-milners-american-graffitti-dragster/