Model Cars Magazine Forum

Milner dragster updated pics 6/16/17

DrKerry

Is the Blower magnesium? That is what it  looks like to me. But I have no idea if they ever made them from magnesium or not.

PS the decals went in the mail today, they will give you a good place to start. 

blower is a light brown, bronze looking color. It very well could be Magnesium. Guess I need to take a run to the hobby store and check out the bottled paints!!!!!

Spoke too Brad last Night ,and He said he would Redraw the Decals for the Dragster, but that he has no way to print them.If you know someone with an Alps Printer then you would be all set.

I've got decals coming as well as some of the small sponsor type decals that anothe has, it would be kool to have someone with the decals ready to print in case others want to build this American Icon!!!!!!! 

blower is a light brown, bronze looking color. It very well could be Magnesium. Guess I need to take a run to the hobby store and check out the bottled paints!!!!!

Though they're not a lot of them, there WERE some aftermarket 6-71 blower housings cast in magnesium. Danekas was one, and if it IS magnesium, chances are the outside was finished with the Dow 7 anti-corrosion process, which sounds like the color you are seeing. Bare magnesium oxidizes rapidly to a dull, dark gray.

This is approximately the color of Dow7 on magnesium.   Image result for dow 7

Though they're not a lot of them, there WERE some aftermarket 6-71 blower housings cast in magnesium. Danekas was one, and if it IS magnesium, chances are the outside was finished with the Dow 7 anti-corrosion process, which sounds like the color you are seeing. Bare magnesium oxidizes rapidly to a dull, dark gray.

This is approximately the color of Dow7 on magnesium.   Image result for dow 7

that'd be the color Bill, just have to get to the hobby store to see if I can find a match to it... possibly in the Metalizer line!!!??

Awesome project!

To replicate the DOW-7 coating put on magnesium parts in the 60's I have found that Testor's Model Master "Jet Exhaust" does a pretty convincing job.

I first prime the part with Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer which is a dark gray. I then brush-on two coats of Jet Exhaust. I let it dry 24 hours then clear with Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear to give it a bit of sheen. 

Here's an example on the wheels on this Dragmaster I finished last year.

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Awesome project!

To replicate the DOW-7 coating put on magnesium parts in the 60's I have found that Testor's Model Master "Jet Exhaust" does a pretty convincing job.

I first prime the part with Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer which is a dark gray. I then brush-on two coats of Jet Exhaust. I let it dry 24 hours then clear with Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear to give it a bit of sheen. 

Here's an example on the wheels on this Dragmaster I finished last year.

photo11-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

That is pretty convincing Dennis!!!!!! 

Which kit has the Moroso valve covers? 

that's what I've been wondering too. I thought of taking a set of Big Block covers and re working them into a set of small block covers!! 

Anybody know of a set for a small block?????

Since I've always wanted to build this iconic rail. I'd be happy to do the decals. Although Chief Joseph has said he won't be printing customer's decals anymore, i found another printer.

Kerry - can you scan your body sides once you get it dialed in? I can work with the decal shown above in this thread. BTW - I never got a note from you.

Since I've always wanted to build this iconic rail. I'd be happy to do the decals. Although Chief Joseph has said he won't be printing customer's decals anymore, i found another printer.

Kerry - can you scan your body sides once you get it dialed in? I can work with the decal shown above in this thread. BTW - I never got a note from you.

Would you be interested in using the decals I used? If I can find my spare set. 

They where corrected by my friend when he did them to more closely match the real car. 

Brad, I have an extra set of original decals if you need them. PM me.

Gerald

P1050811.JPG

those are a nice starting point, they don't reach all the way under the engine. 

Those will come to a stop right where the footwell meets the bulkhead and the back of the block.. the real car they kind of fade away as they come forward and almost disappear at the front under the sponsor decal...

IMG_2791.thumb.JPG.95ac59cec2a933f7428d0

Well, I was offering them to you since you have someone who can do decals. 

Thanks Jesse but all I needed was a to size scan of the decal sheet and a scan of the body Terry is working on. I got the scan and have begun working on it. Thank you kindly though.