Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine, The Future

I suggest making things as simple as possible ... have a small banner on every page with donation info ... $10 min ... PayPal/send check (no credit cards - too insecure) ... large print "Donate Here" 

then see what happens ...

Probably the best idea yet...if you could add a flag under the avatar that said something like "supporting member" for people who coughed up.

From the the number of page views stated, there are tons of people who view but do not post.  In this thread  these are all regular posters who would be a minority of those using the site. It is dismaying to me that so many of these folks will tell you here in print, "I'm only here for the free beer".  In my upbringing, I was taught that you stand up for, and support things that you believe in. So of course I am a subscriber.

The donations button would be a good start. Many sites do this. Even Wikipedia.  

As said in the quotes above, I'd agree that there could/should be a few banners under our user names...  "Supporting or Contributing Member"  and "Model Cars Subscriber".  

Given the current state of affairs with the forum, (404 server errors, slow page loads, outdated software, gallery images not displaying, lack of moderation) I can't imagine why anyone would want to support the site. I also would say the same about the print version of the magazine. If there was some consistency with publishing and delivery then becoming a subscriber and supporter wouldn't be an issue. Is a supporter banner displayed under a members name going to ensure a better product or is it just going to supplement what we already have? The current issues with the site/magazine doesn't give anyone any incentive to be a supporter. Get the site issues straightened out first then talk about a pay wall type of site. Publish the mag on a consistent regular basis then I will gladly subscribe. The issue here for me is not with the content of the mag or the forum, it's more about consistency and reliability with regard to the performance of the products being offered. 

From the the number of page views stated, there are tons of people who view but do not post.  In this thread  these are all regular posters who would be a minority of those using the site. It is dismaying to me that so many of these folks will tell you here in print, "I'm only here for the free beer".  In my upbringing, I was taught that you stand up for, and support things that you believe in. So of course I am a subscriber.

The donations button would be a good start. Many sites do this. Even Wikipedia.  

As said in the quotes above, I'd agree that there could/should be a few banners under our user names...  "Supporting or Contributing Member"  and "Model Cars Subscriber".  

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, and, appropriating familiar words, 'I approve his message.'

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box...but I love having an actual magazine to hold...and I know it costs alot to put it out...that's one reason I've been a subscriber from day one..."Plastic Fanatic"...I'd have no idea how to raise more cash...like above...ads on here? They suck but whatever...I prefer print but will take it anyway I can get it...

My two cents are as follow:

You can offer the basic site.

I would limit it to a page or two, though. Regular banter, etc. However, as a premium member and/or subscriber, you get added content such as the digital magazine, archived articles and posts, specials from vendors who decide to take ads here and add in a marketplace area. All deals are between the buyer and seller and only accessible via a premium membership. You yourself, are not involved in the sale of items but it gives people a place where they can post what they have and what they want for it. We tend to buy from people we know, instead of placing faith in an eBay vendor no one has heard of.

In addition, you can have guest authors pop in with a special feature, just for premium members. I know I'd be willing to do so. 

You can even add in short video clips on how to do a special technique. Maybe even an interview or two of some hobby icon. Can't make a model show? Maybe even do a highlight show clip. When I worked at a car dealership, we could show a customer a problem by linking them to YouTube. I'd shoot the short video of their secondary rubber showing on their tires and why it didn't pass inspection. Only they could access the video thru a link I send by email. Pretty effective. Your vendors can link their product videos for a modest fee. Could be part of their ad package.

The premium access site could be a one stop vendor showcase as well as a great product/model reference site for the average guys. Instead of hunting the web we could have the best of the best listed with new product intros, on a regular basis.

Meld in other ideas as time goes on and it can be a real plus. You get the magazine out in a timely manner and have an area that is self sustaining.

Given the current state of affairs with the forum, (404 server errors, slow page loads, outdated software, gallery images not displaying, lack of moderation) I can't imagine why anyone would want to support the site. I also would say the same about the print version of the magazine. If there was some consistency with publishing and delivery then becoming a subscriber and supporter wouldn't be an issue. Is a supporter banner displayed under a members name going to ensure a better product or is it just going to supplement what we already have? The current issues with the site/magazine doesn't give anyone any incentive to be a supporter. Get the site issues straightened out first then talk about a pay wall type of site. Publish the mag on a consistent regular basis then I will gladly subscribe. The issue here for me is not with the content of the mag or the forum, it's more about consistency and reliability with regard to the performance of the products being offered. 

I disagree. This site ha had issues in the past, but, I feel overall it works pretty well for what it is. Even with the issues (a typical annoyance for a site that has become too big to be a one man operation but not profitable enough to have a support staff), the content is so far above what i available to most American modelers, I'm willing to support it to just remain as it is.

The current issues with the site/magazine doesn't give anyone any incentive to be a supporter. Get the site issues straightened out first then talk about a pay wall type of site. Publish the mag on a consistent regular basis then I will gladly subscribe.  

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, though. The desired improvements cost money.

As far as incentive goes, this is a hobby not an essential service. We are all here for the pure enjoyment of it. The fact is if we wish to continue this enjoyment, some revenue must be generated. Therein lies the incentive.

Edited by Bainford

Guess I'll stop lurking and actual sign in to make a comment. I've kept up my sub to support the attempt and the hobby even thought there's not a lot of it that interests me. Not because there isn't some good articles; more that I'm off in my own little weird world. Haven't seen anything I would consider a major problem with the forum. Only been coming here for the last couple of months so there may have been before. Wouldn't be adverse to seeing a few more ads here if it would help.

...I mean actual working knowledge of how to turn the numbers/unique visitors into conversions/subscribers, please let me know. I don't mean to sound harsh, but ideas or Google search results are not what I need. I need facts. What actually works, what has worked for you, or if you have done similar projects, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please send your thoughts/ideas/proposals to me by email: gregg@modelcarsmag.com

Just a reminder that Gregg is a big email guy and he doesn't hang out here a lot. As he says, be sure to email him your "working knowledge... facts... what actually works... similar projects... ideas" 

This is the sad but inevitable truth. A few months ago we were discussing the impossibility of relying on exponentially increased subscriptions to buoy the magazine up. Now that what I commented on seems to have come to pass, (in the lack of enough new subscriptions to keep MCM financially viable), here's another idea/"plea for cash" for financially propping up what appears to be a flailing, if not failing enterprise. The lack of consistency in both the product's quality & timeliness has kept me from spending the cash for a subscription, & considering that all the other modeling forums are basically free, I know I'm not going to throw good money down a bottomless hole to keep an enterprise going that seems doomed to failure. At some point it becomes time to cut your losses & move on. Perhaps that point has been reached for MCM.

Nothing gets ones attention like the prospect of failure.  I think the site has a lot to offer modelers of any skill level.  Reading all the posts it appears that the glass is either half empty or half full.  I would say half empty when it comes to the magazine.  MCM's prime competitor on the magazine rack is Scale Auto and they quite simply put out a better product IMO.  However, you can't compare the forums / websites that the two offer.  Here is where MCM has ScaleAuto beat by quite the margin, again IMO.  I would cut bait since almost all printed papers / magazines are facing the same struggles and challenges, especially since there is no end in sight to the downward trend of subscriptions.   Focus your teams energies on improving the forum and figure out how to monetize it.  If that can't be done, then Gregg, I have to ask you personally, what is your "aggravation factor / quotient"?    At some juncture it just doesn't make sense for you and the "fun" will be gone.  I commend you on your efforts AND especially your desire to make it work somehow.  I have many more questions but they are probably more suited to a one on one conversation if you're interested.  There is value in this forum, it's just a question on how to tap into it I believe.   Cheers, Tim

my 2 cents.

Me personally I like free. And to some degree for the forum to survive it must stay free, at least in some form

BUT, I would have no problem with an annual subscription for paying subscriber / forum  member  benefits as mentioned earlier.  That amount would have to be offset by the benefits gained on my end .

Just for the sake of argument and to put a number on it .  Lets say an annual paper subscription is $20  per year and a  members only area here is $10 per year. I would GLADLY pay the $10. When it comes to paper magazines of any kind. I just browse thru it at the book store , if there's something I like and want to read at my leisure I'll buy the mag . If not it stays on the rack and I forget about it . Next month IF  Im even at said bookstore / magazine rack. I'll peruse thru them again, the process repeats IF / WHEN when I get the chance Its not a place I make a point to go to on any kind of regular basis

Probably the best idea yet...if you could add a flag under the avatar that said something like "supporting member" for people who coughed up.

I am going to take a part of that "best idea yet",  as it was posted in the 4th(3rd from the OP) reply in this thread. :D

Edited by martinfan5

Just signed up for two years for  $40.00      The way I look at it is  .05 a day to support Greg, the mag and this forum.  Seems like a pretty good deal even if the mag comes slow.  

Randy

I agree Randy. I have been a subcriber for many, many years.

Edited by Len Woodruff

Brian, are you still getting destroyed issues?

That's why I went to the polybags, this should be eliminated.

Hi Gregg,

No destroyed issues, just based on previous posts and history.

I'm hoping my mail man is gentle with magazines.

The ploybags is great to know, I'm sure you mentioned it before as you are good at keeping us updated.

Anyways, happy to be a subscriber.

Edited by aurfalien

So, is this a revenue source for Gregg? I thought he wasn't going to go digital with the magazine himself.

John, no, digital is a tool, note a replacement.

I also have digital copies via the main site: Digital copy but so far, I have only been able to put one issue up.

This falls back on me.

I still can't sit up for any length of time to do this type of work

I may go back to the bed desk situation, to get all the time-consuming work down.

A lot of good input so far.

I like the idea of a poll for the extra content, but then, most of the ideas are there

Like I had said, I was looking for not just ideas, but actual ways to do things.

Someone who has done this

like taking the new registrars, creating a script, sending them an email, etc.

or, doing data dumps, comparing that to MCM subscribers, sending out sub notices/cards

things like this

actual work

I have been buying and supporting Modelcars since Plastic Fanatic days. For the last few years, I have picked up Modelcars at my local hobby shop. This allows me to support both the Mag, and my LHS as I also usually pick up supplies that I need while I am there.

Having said that, here are a few reasons I DO enjoy reading and viewing online.

My vision. The older I get, the more I like being able to "zoom in" on images that I want to see better, and without the eye strain.

I got tired of my mags getting damaged in the mail.

I like being able to "search" for a topic, or how to etc.

While I do understand the desire to maintain print, I like the idea of a tiered subscription. Don't eliminate the print, simply create a digital companion, like the SAE does, and I will subscribe to both. Also, if you want some Mig Ammo also has the Fantastic weathering series, and the the digital companions, again allowing me to zoom in ans see the detail more clearly. 

Having said that I would pay a nominal fee to have site access. I do want to support the hobby and the mag.

I see your digital version, but this magster app appears to have the latest issue 203 of model cars available. I know jack about apps but this seems like piracy or copyright violation to me if this is not authorized by yoou!

p.s. I'm a subscriber for more than five years love this magazine!

Edited by JohnU

• Gregg locked this topic