Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine, The Future

I recently read an article about ways to make money online (well, I skimmed an article) and one of the suggestions was to market second party products. Apparently sites like Amazon will pay you to market for them. Maybe you could somehow link reviews of advertisers products to their sites and if we buy their products based on your review you can receive a commission?

I create a fair amount of content for the forum.  I assume the contributors to the magazine are not charged for the privilege of submitting an article.  Paying to contribute to the forum so the content can be sold to others isn’t very appealing to me.

Edited by afx

So here is the question as taken from the OP..."how to turn the numbers/unique visitors into conversions/subscribers, please let me know."

I believe Gregg means print subscribers, not e-subscribers.

Soon . what cool things about this site can be put into magazine form to attack more magazine readers?

My thought is to take a subject, lead with the site, and finish in the magazine. 

Scott

Um, Scott, a sale is a sale, no matter how it happens. I won't buy any mag. in hard copy. I just find it much easier to access and locate what I'm looking for and for sure, storage is much neater with e copies. I have received Hemmings Classic Car in digit sinse they first started offering it. It must be a cheaper and more effect way to distribute as I pay half of what it cost me for hard copy, I get it sooner and it's in perfect shape. I just bought the MCM digital issue #203 and will continue to buy future issue if offered in same form.  

Given the current state of affairs with the forum, (404 server errors, slow page loads, outdated software, gallery images not displaying, lack of moderation) I can't imagine why anyone would want to support the site. I also would say the same about the print version of the magazine. If there was some consistency with publishing and delivery then becoming a subscriber and supporter wouldn't be an issue. Is a supporter banner displayed under a members name going to ensure a better product or is it just going to supplement what we already have? The current issues with the site/magazine doesn't give anyone any incentive to be a supporter. Get the site issues straightened out first then talk about a pay wall type of site. Publish the mag on a consistent regular basis then I will gladly subscribe. The issue here for me is not with the content of the mag or the forum, it's more about consistency and reliability with regard to the performance of the products being offered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the sad but inevitable truth. A few months ago we were discussing the impossibility of relying on exponentially increased subscriptions to buoy the magazine up. Now that what I commented on seems to have come to pass, (in the lack of enough new subscriptions to keep MCM financially viable), here's another idea/"plea for cash" for financially propping up what appears to be a flailing, if not failing enterprise. The lack of consistency in both the product's quality & timeliness has kept me from spending the cash for a subscription, & considering that all the other modeling forums are basically free, I know I'm not going to throw good money down a bottomless hole to keep an enterprise going that seems doomed to failure. At some point it becomes time to cut your losses & move on. Perhaps that point has been reached for MCM.

Ya know, I have a major issue here. There are so many people in this thread eager to kick Gregg in the head with their “I only want free content and want to complain about it too”.  There are those who will so eloquently predict the demise of Model Cars Magazine, and will revel in the fact that “they were right” when it happens.  This doesn’t serve the hobby one iota, and only people disconnected from the hobby would support such views. It's actually absurd that people would do this on his free board.

Here’s the deal. Gregg has many years invested in making Model Cars Magazine the voice of the serious hobbyist. When you read it, you know most of the writers. It’s by us, about us.  This is the American Story.  He has been through his physical issues, the sudden loss of the publisher and now the loss of Harry. Still he tries to move forward. He's asked for our input.

I have known Gregg for many years. He’s a great guy. I’ve seen him at the top of his game, the life of the party, a superb supporter of all we want the hobby to be. But I’ve also seen him in a wheel chair, obviously in pain and trying to keep the faith.  You have to buy into this dream.

Note that I also know the folks at Scale Auto and support them as well. I do feel  that the magazines both have a different flavor, and both are relevant and important to the hobby.

If everyone   took the doomsday and “wait and see” approach the magazine and website will surely fail. But look at the numbers of participants on this site. If everyone here ponied up for a one or two year subscription, as nothing more than a show of faith, a vote that you believe in this, we stand a chance of this actually working.  

Note that this is a hobby publication, a one man operation on a shoe string. This is not Life Magazine or Walmart.  I would not donate a day to work at Walmart, but I would write articles, spend a day manning a Model Cars Magazine table at a show or otherwise help and support this effort.  Some folks, the ones I’ve quoted above are somehow not able to see the difference.  They are only concerned about themselves.

Yea, some of us must make a stand for the hobby. Yes I am a subscriber and support Model Cars Magazine. It’s important to the hobby.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Ya know, I have a major issue here. There are so many people in this thread eager to kick Gregg in the head with their “I only want free content and want to complain about it too”....

Yea, some of us must make a stand for the hobby. Yes I am a subscriber and support Model Cars Magazine. It’s important to the hobby.

Yup. Agreed 100%.

I can certainly risk a few bucks to vote-with-my-wallet, and show that I value what's here. I'll subscribe (though I've been buying single issues regurarly for years).

I've got some really interesting content I've been saving for magazine articles, too (already discussed some of it with the lately departed Harry).

Guess ya'll have to buy the mag to get the goods.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I started subscribing to MCM as soon as I learned it existed and will continue to subscribe as long as there is a print form of the magazine.

Anyone one that still enjoys this hobby and this web forum should seriously consider some kind of subscription, you can't get the info shared here anywhere else in some or most cases.

I prefer having print magazines because they are still around when the internet is down or the power is out or my computer just puked it's last pixel and because of all the old car model magazines I have hoarded and occasionally look through to see where we've been and what was done "in the olden days".

In fact, reading through the readers comments from the old magazines is just like these forums...except they had to write or type out their complaints/compliments manually and spend a stamp to get it in the magazine.

I wish I had a solution for Gregg, but since I don't, I'll be glad to continue supporting him and the web forum I go to most frequently.

(and quit whinging about site errors! I deal with them too but I don't whinge about something I'm getting for free.)

Considering all that Gregg has been through in terms of his health, the difficulty of running a magazine in a hobby that is not necessarily growing and using his own money to keep it all running including this forum, I would say we are pretty darn lucky he didn't throw in the towel years ago and leave us with one less magazine and forum! 

Is the magazine late/delayed on a regular basis? Yup, and Gregg doesn't hide from that problem.

Does this forum have some issues? Yup, and Gregg doesn't hide from that problem. 

Is there a solution to help Gregg overcome some of the problems? Yup, it's call cashflow.

What can be done to help Gregg? 

1. Subscribe to the paper magazine. This will provide some cashflow to help get the mag out.

2. Be supportive of his efforts to raise cash, even if it means paying an annual membership for this forum. A dollar a month wouldn't kill many of us and it would go a long way to helping him long term.

3. Consider what you may be able to do to assist Gregg, I am sure there are some members here who have skills or advice that could be of benefit.

We all know that Gregg has a difficult time doing most tasks that most of us take for granted, like sitting upright and walking, so before you come on here and give the doom and gloom of why the magazine is a lost cause or why you won't pay for the forum, think what he goes through to provide it to us all.

I am finally in a position to get a subscription again after a rough patch financially and will show my support with a 2 year subscription. I encourage those of us who are not subscribers to do so if possible, it is a show of support for someone who has given a lot to this hobby.

Ya know, I have a major issue here. There are so many people in this thread eager to kick Gregg in the head with their “I only want free content and want to complain about it too”.  There are those who will so eloquently predict the demise of Model Cars Magazine, and will revel in the fact that “they were right” when it happens.  This doesn’t serve the hobby one iota, and only people disconnected from the hobby would support such views. It's actually absurd that people would do this on his free board.

Here’s the deal. Gregg has many years invested in making Model Cars Magazine the voice of the serious hobbyist. When you read it, you know most of the writers. It’s by us, about us.  This is the American Story.  He has been through his physical issues, the sudden loss of the publisher and now the loss of Harry. Still he tries to move forward. He's asked for our input.

I have known Gregg for many years. He’s a great guy. I’ve seen him at the top of his game, the life of the party, a superb supporter of all we want the hobby to be. But I’ve also seen him in a wheel chair, obviously in pain and trying to keep the faith.  You have to buy into this dream.

Note that I also know the folks at Scale Auto and support them as well. I do feel  that the magazines both have a different flavor, and both are relevant and important to the hobby.

If everyone   took the doomsday and “wait and see” approach the magazine and website will surely fail. But look at the numbers of participants on this site. If everyone here ponied up for a one or two year subscription, as nothing more than a show of faith, a vote that you believe in this, we stand a chance of this actually working.  

Note that this is a hobby publication, a one man operation on a shoe string. This is not Life Magazine or Walmart.  I would not donate a day to work at Walmart, but I would write articles, spend a day manning a Model Cars Magazine table at a show or otherwise help and support this effort.  Some folks, the ones I’ve quoted above are somehow not able to see the difference.  They are only concerned about themselves.

Tom, an awesome statement, and spot on. It is indeed amazing to see so many people saying they only want something for nothing, and then pile on about site problems, and laugh at making it a partial pay site, and they would be the first ones to scream bloody blue murder if the site went belly up. "I only want something of value" seems to be a common lament. It's a damned shame that they can't see that they DO get something of value, but in order to live up to their desired lofty standards, Gregg would have to sell a kidney or two to do so. My feeling is Gregg has to ignore the naysayers who would complain about being hung with a new rope. They would complain that they wouldn't have anything to complain about if the magazine worked perfecly! We've got your back, Gregg.

OK, Just went ahead and, did the two year deal. I have never subscribed in the past. I have always liked to get my copy for the local hobby shop. Hopefully this will help in some way. Heck, may be I will still pick up that copy from the hobby shop. One for home, one for the shop. Thank you Gregg for all that you have done and, continue to do.

My only interest on the forum is posting and seeing factory stock builds. That's the vast minority of the posts "under glass".Don't care about exotics, don't care about rods, don't care about german or japanese or Italian, or British cars. Only care about V8 Fords, and some select V8 Chevrolets, done stock.  Now, with our friend Harry gone, I've being seen pick up trucks, race cars, drag racers, nascar, and even a bike on the "under glass" section intended for cars. It's a mess. 

I use to spend 99% of my time here at the under glass section, and sometimes at the worbench section. Rarely go to the general section, and only looked at Big Boys to see Harry's builds. 

If the forum becomes a paid site, I'm out. Gonna be posting my builds only on the factory stock section of the Scale Auto forum, and the very few non stock builds I still do at their appropriate section.

Never had the magazine (MCM) on hands, have zero interest on having it on hands, and it's not available in Brasil for sale, as are some others that I don't buy as well. I use my money to buy reference books on 1:1 Ford cars, of many different countries.

I know it's not what the publisher wants to hear, but that's the truth, and I won't say i'm gonna subscribe, and that I'm gonna pay for using the forum, because I won't.

Since the information reunited here, and the pictures of the builds shown is provided by the users, and not by the paid staff of a publishing company, the only possible cost to be shared to the users would be the cost to keep the forum running. 

That cost I would help paying gladly.

Now paying for the right to see material that is being posted by the forum users themselves, that I will not do, as I post material here and don't expect any kind of compensation. If that really happens, i'll be deleting all my threads, and moving to another place.

No I'm not a magazine supporter. 

I'm a forum supporter. If the cost to keep the forum running is to be divided among it's users I'm in. This value has to be proved true, and divided among the users that decide to help keeping the forum online. 

In this case I no longer agree on having the name Model cars Magazine related to the forum, as it would be user paid and maintained. 

• Gregg locked this topic

I have locked the forum, it seemed to start taking a another direction/turn.

Thanks for all the input, I will be working on all of this over the next few weeks

Thanks for the support, it means a lot.