Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford "Vicky": WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

I agree with the Wire Wheel to match what is on the "ground". A thought on the polish residue, there are many ways to get that out of the seams. One that I have used is an old tooth brush and even a moist tooth pick to get the seams cleaned up. Look forward to the finish on this build.  

Hello David, I tried gently scrubbing at it with a toothbrush but started getting some faint, tiny scratches. The paint was just a little more than 24hrs old, so it may have still been a little soft. So rather than continuing to scratch the paint with the toothbrush, I decided to chase the polish residue out of the panel lines with my panel line scribe, using it very gently, with not much more than the weight of the tool itself. That worked very well on the other areas except on the cowl vent and a few spots around the roof panel. That's why I suspect a lack of paint rather than a remnant of polish.

MUCH better option on the spare.  Get a BABY toothbrush, VERY soft, and put a little soapy water on it and get into those creases. That is what I use after I polish one out. 

Thank you for your comment and the tip Mark. I'll see if I can pick up a baby toothbrush to have on hand for next time.

David G.

While I was waiting for paint and putty to dry on the spare wheel kit, I managed to get the interior done.

A very simple, very plain interior most of which will not be visible after assembly. I dressed it up a little by making some side pockets for the doors out of masking tape. I also added some dash detail.

32_Vicky_18_12.jpg.7d21e72fd3e2364853beafda710ad430.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

OK, Vicky the Deuce is pretty much done. I just have to place the bumpers and a few other little fiddly bits then get some good photos. 

In the meantime, this should be about the last update before going "Under Glass".

The spare wheel and license bracket are finished. A little rough, but finished.

32_Vicky_16_12.jpg.ff4bb370dc5823480eb63d9294ffbbab.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

I think you have done excellent work on this model.  I was wondering your process and products you used to re-create the wood texture?  I am currently building version of the 32 also, and think that the wood touch is very well done, and looks great.

So glad you went with that spare,  looks so much better. 

Thanks Mark. I just couldn't live with the one that came in the kit. It just seemed... wrong.

Nicely done. Cool that you did a stock version. 

I tend to favor stock builds- a custom or hot rod Deuce is almost a cliche'. Thanks for your comment Bob.

I think you have done excellent work on this model.  I was wondering your process and products you used to re-create the wood texture?  I am currently building version of the 32 also, and think that the wood touch is very well done, and looks great.

Hello Mike and thank you. If you mean the wood on the dashboard, I painted it with Poly Scale Rust, which has been discontinued, but any medium brown acrylic will do. After it dried, I used a brown fine-point Sharpie and made some light lines on the paint to simulate wood grain. The initial lines were a little too dark for my liking so I moistened a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and dabbed and rolled until the lines looked the way I wanted them to. If you are asking about the wood on the undercarriage, I painted it with a rattle can and used a thin black wash then weathered it with Black and brown pastels.

David G.

Finished now!

Grabbed a quick snap last night.

32_Vicky_19_12.jpg.138352bba045faf0b76a15394070f870.jpg

I'll post more in the "Under Glass" section soon.

Thank you all for your support and kind comments, I do appreciate the feedback.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

• David G. changed the title to 32 Ford "Vicky": WIP (Photos Restored)

Hello Everybody.

I've gone in and reedited the old photos to hopefully make them a bit more eye friendly and uploaded them to the topic once again. This should be the last time I have to rescue this topic from the PhotoBucket Monster.

Enjoy!

David G.

Thanks for fixing the photos on both threads. I read them both! One of my favorite old kits, one of the first I built when I returned to the hobby as an adult.. and I built mine very far from stock!

And I don’t care if the body is less than perfect.. it’s an early 1960s kit for Pete’s sake!

Edited by Tom Geiger

As another fan of the Vicky, thank you for fixing this thread, as I managed to miss it the first time around. Love this build! I can't count how many times I've searched and found some cool-sounding build threads, only to find the photos were long gone. It's awfully disappointing, and your effort is much appreciated. Well done!

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Thanks for fixing the photos on both threads. I read them both! One of my favorite old kits, one of the first I built when I returned to the hobby as an adult.. and I built mine very far from stock!

And I don’t care if the body is less than perfect.. it’s an early 1960s kit for Pete’s sake!

Your welcome Tom and thanks for your comment. I agree it is a good kit, I enjoyed building it now and forty-plus years ago.

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Good looking 32

Thanks Bob, I'm glad you like it.

12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

As another fan of the Vicky, thank you for fixing this thread, as I managed to miss it the first time around. Love this build! I can't count how many times I've searched and found some cool-sounding build threads, only to find the photos were long gone. It's awfully disappointing, and your effort is much appreciated. Well done!

Thank you for your kind words Rusty. I'm glad to know that my efforts are appreciated. When I first started this project of rescuing my old threads, I was a little concerned that I would be called out for resurrecting "zombie" threads or attention-seeking but it seems my efforts are being appreciated for what they are, thank you.

David G.

37 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Very nice build! I have a question though... I can't even edit a post I added a week ago. The edit option simply is not there. How were you able to edit a post from 2017?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

You have to PM an Admin, they can help with that.

David G.

• Like 1