Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buick Skylark

KWT

While looking thru storage to find a hood for a fellow forum member... unfortunately didn't find the hood :(...I stumbled upon this kit. It's not been open in around 20 years, or so. Most of kit is painted and some pieces assembled. But apparently I was working on this one, when I decided to call it quits...

The body had smudge marks, I assume from touching the box, so I pulled out the scratch-x went to town. I don't remember what color it's painted... kinda looks like a blackcherry... but I'm diggin the outcome. So much so, I believe I may finish it up.

IMG_20170416_093227345.jpg

IMG_20170416_093208728.jpg

As always, thanks for looking...

I think I will. These are definitely not in the norm.

Wish when I was younger and dumber I had sanded out the mold line. I'd do it now, but I don't don't want to screw up the paint job.

If you are careful adding the trim, you can add a black vinyl top. Paint looks really nice in the photo.

I have a preference myself, but I won't cloud your decision process. I'll be watching for progress :)

go ahead, bro.. it could steer me in the right direction.

If you are careful adding the trim, you can add a black vinyl top. Paint looks really nice in the photo.

i actually have a vinyl top from model car garage. But i don't have any trim material for it. I wouldnt even know what size to get for it.

My plan for my Buick is a street-strip car. Fireball drag radials, headers, Forward Resin Daisy mags. Nothing too outlandish, just a healthy, lightly updated musclecar.

I do believe there are some vinyl top tutorials around on the internet. I'm sure one of them would list the size of styrene strip needed for trim.

Perhaps flat black paint sprayed from a distance would work for you instead of the fabric.

You could just leave the seam line and forget about it. We don't want it going back in the box unfinished again.

I was admiring your paint job when I also noticed the mold line on the roof. Since the paint is over 20 years old and you're not sure what it is you are left with the vinyl roof option or a strip and paint. Only my personal  taste but I really like this color and it looks somewhat like one of the OEM colors offered by Model Master. So if you went with the strip and paint there is that. You mentioned that you have a vinyl roof kit  and I know many have used this and prefer that. Dodge Driver mentioned the spray paint from a distance. This is the only vinyl roof addition that I'm familiar with. If you use the paint method  another paint to consider is Rust-Oleum Textured spray paint. Very inexpensive at any home supply store. I have used it several times and it leaves a very convincing finish. Plastruct offers many shapes and sizes for moldings and the top seams. As others have mentioned it is nice to see one that is not  done up as a GSX.   

If you can afford the Model Car Garage photo etch set it is very nice.  It will allow you to paint the red paint color in all of the badges and will make your build a killer project.  The interior will really pop too.  I built one as a convertible.  The PE looks great in it.  I think I used a Modelhaus 442 boot.  It is not a accurate convertible but who cares, it's a model.  I will soon have the 69 Vista Cruiser from Ron Lambert.  Hopefully and eventually there will be a Sport Wagon version.

I kept a photo of a 70 GS stage 1 convertible.  It was special ordered with a 70 cadillac color like the Mopar Plumb Crazy.  It had a white top and white interior.  I think the photo might be on the forum where I post resin casting projects.  I will see if I can post a link to it.  It is a beautiful car I think they were asking like 180K for it

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/thread/1234/1972-gs

Here ya go.  A photo of my first car and two beautiful convertibles to wish for.

Edited by Greg Wann

That special order purple was '70 Cadillac "Chateau Mauve Firemist". Pretty color.

Image result for chateau mauve firemist

A very long time ago I owned a '70 Skylark Custom in "Aqua Mist". with black. One of my favourite color combos. 

Looked like this one. ,, but not nearly as nice. 

RThompson4.jpg

Something to keep in mind though is you can build a stock GS from the kit you need a different grille and hood for a Skylark. The hood with the hole in it for the custom version would be right [with the hole filled] for a '71 or '72 but the front edge of the '70 had an undercut that's not on the kit hood.

Related image

I absolutely love all the info you guys bring to the table. Gives me quite a few options to think about...

I've never tried to do a vinyl top or convertible. Been reading up on the vinyl. Seems doable... May try it on an older kit I practice painting on sometimes, to see if I can pull it off.

How hard is it to do a believable convertible top?

I absolutely love all the info you guys bring to the table. Gives me quite a few options to think about...

I've never tried to do a vinyl top or convertible. Been reading up on the vinyl. Seems doable... May try it on an older kit I practice painting on sometimes, to see if I can pull it off.

How hard is it to do a believable convertible top?

You could just cut the top off and add a boot. Don't know where you'd find a boot in 1/24 though. It wouldn't be 100% correct though because the rear 1/4 panels and the tulip panel between the trunk lid and back window or top is much flatter where it meets the roof opening where the hardtop has the character line that wraps up right around the rear window. 

Probably look better with just the vinyl top option. Would have been better to add the trim before painting but you could probably get away with adding it by glueing it down with clearcoat and doing a couple more coats of clear overall after it's thoroughly dry. That could hide any smudges done while adding the trim. As for size of trim, I just use stretched sprue usually when I do a vinyl roof.  

BTW,, '70 GS in "Burgundy Mist"

Image result for '70 skylark burgundy mist

HUBBA HUBBA

You could just cut the top off and add a boot. Don't know where you'd find a boot in 1/24 though. It wouldn't be 100% correct though because the rear 1/4 panels and the tulip panel between the trunk lid and back window or top is much flatter where it meets the roof opening where the hardtop has the character line that wraps up right around the rear window. 

Probably look better with just the vinyl top option. Would have been better to add the trim before painting but you could probably get away with adding it by glueing it down with clearcoat and doing a couple more coats of clear overall after it's thoroughly dry. That could hide any smudges done while adding the trim. As for size of trim, I just use stretched sprue usually when I do a vinyl roof.  

Hmm... haven't read that sprue method yet.

If had only known to sand that kind of stuff off when I was younger, none of this would be an issue. Thing is, I honestly didn't even notice that stuff back then. Now... I look all over for em... You guys have ruined me...lol.

I think I'm really leaning towards trying a vinyl top...

Edited by KWT

If you can afford the Model Car Garage photo etch set it is very nice.  It will allow you to paint the red paint color in all of the badges and will make your build a killer project.  The interior will really pop too.  I built one as a convertible.  The PE looks great in it.  I think I used a Modelhaus 442 boot.  It is not a accurate convertible but who cares, it's a model.  I will soon have the 69 Vista Cruiser from Ron Lambert.  Hopefully and eventually there will be a Sport Wagon version.

I'm gonna check out that PE set... I haven't ever used one of those either. I have a couple that I'm been meaning to try, but haven't ever gotten around to it.

I was admiring your paint job when I also noticed the mold line on the roof. Since the paint is over 20 years old and you're not sure what it is you are left with the vinyl roof option or a strip and paint. Only my personal  taste but I really like this color and it looks somewhat like one of the OEM colors offered by Model Master. So if you went with the strip and paint there is that. You mentioned that you have a vinyl roof kit  and I know many have used this and prefer that. Dodge Driver mentioned the spray paint from a distance. This is the only vinyl roof addition that I'm familiar with. If you use the paint method  another paint to consider is Rust-Oleum Textured spray paint. Very inexpensive at any home supply store. I have used it several times and it leaves a very convincing finish. Plastruct offers many shapes and sizes for moldings and the top seams. As others have mentioned it is nice to see one that is not  done up as a GSX.   

After reading this, I went thru my paint. I came across Model Master Dark Cherry Pearl. I sprayed it on a some sprue, and you're right. It looks to be a dead ringer. WOOT WOOT.

Dark Cherry Pearl is the color I was thinking of but just couldn't remember the name. You may find other issues with the body that aren't as noticeable and you can correct them when you redo the body. I personally think these GM bodies look best without the vinyl roof. I know many like them, but to me it breaks up the flow of the body lines.