Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 SS 396 chevelle

MODELOESPECIAL

I agree - those AMT tail lights are horrible, so I'll also be watching to see how you resolve that issue.  I heard the '69 promo had more correct units, so I ordered a set from Modelhaus (still waiting).  This kit is old and needs a little extra effort to turn out well, but you seem to be up to the task.    

Missing link resin has a set of correct '69 SS396 tail lamps in their line I bought a couple of sets of them for my next '69 SS396 builds.

Missing link resin has a set of correct '69 SS396 tail lamps in their line I bought a couple of sets of them for my next '69 SS396 builds.

One of my favorite builders arrives with a solution that will benefit untold numbers of modelers.  Well done, Mr Hamilton.   

One of my favorite builders arrives with a solution that will benefit untold numbers of modelers.  Well done, Mr Hamilton.   

Thank you! I only wish that I had a picture of the actual part. Kevin Lutz should be able to show you a picture of the lamps, which I believe has the rear bumper too.

Alright, so I finished the optima battery...it looks good enough ;) and I also got some time to get those tedious doors aligned/hinged (I had to cut where the dashboard sits) and let me tell you, the more I time I get to work with this kit, the more I see how crappy this kit was molded! But despite all the negativity that I've read online about this kit im doing ok :unsure: I'm really enjoying customizing the hell out of this one, I have at least 10 other kits lined up! But I'm being patient with this build...

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

Fabulous info! I might go ahead and order a few sets of those while I wait for my MH order. I have a feeling I can always use them. Thanks!

Ron thank you for this helpful comment! I just ordered the correct bumper and taillights for my '69 SS396 from Missing Link Resin!

Ron thank you for this helpful comment! I just ordered the correct bumper and taillights for my '69 SS396 from Missing Link Resin!

You are welcome Eric.

I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do mine. I have two of the "countdown" issues of this kit, which I may turn into a '68, using the parts from the Modelhaus, and the Model Car Garage '68 El Camino Photoetch, and a scratchbuilt interior upgrade, using parts from the '68 El Camino, and scratchbuilding the rear seat and side panels. I have a few '69 Chevelle SS396 kits and the Model Car Garage Photo-etch set. One of them is going to be built as a Malibu 2 Door hardtop, and I have an excellent Shawn Carpenter Resin 2 Door Post Coupe, which can be built as a 300 Deluxe, or an ultra rare SS396 2 Door Sedan. One of my unbuilt '68 El Caminos is going to be updated to a '69 SS396 El Camino. I have my work cut out for me. The 1969 SS396 is one of my favorite Chevrolets.

You are welcome Eric.

I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do mine. I have two of the "countdown" issues of this kit, which I may turn into a '68, using the parts from the Modelhaus, and the Model Car Garage '68 El Camino Photoetch, and a scratchbuilt interior upgrade, using parts from the '68 El Camino, and scratchbuilding the rear seat and side panels. I have a few '69 Chevelle SS396 kits and the Model Car Garage Photo-etch set. One of them is going to be built as a Malibu 2 Door hardtop, and I have an excellent Shawn Carpenter Resin 2 Door Post Coupe, which can be built as a 300 Deluxe, or an ultra rare SS396 2 Door Sedan. One of my unbuilt '68 El Caminos is going to be updated to a '69 SS396 El Camino. I have my work cut out for me. The 1969 SS396 is one of my favorite Chevrolets.

I have the two I built as a kid, plus another orange one I built a few years ago. I started one as a COPO 9561 in Dusk Blue, and it's even painted and polished out, but I can't find it! I too want to do a 300 post SS396, probably in LeMans blue. I don't think it will be too difficult to add the window framing myself.

I have the two I built as a kid, plus another orange one I built a few years ago. I started one as a COPO 9561 in Dusk Blue, and it's even painted and polished out, but I can't find it! I too want to do a 300 post SS396, probably in LeMans blue. I don't think it will be too difficult to add the window framing myself.

The resin I have is better than the kit piece. The lower moldings have been removed, the  taillamps, which are moulded in,  are correct, and the interior has been converted to the correct 300 Deluxe style. It is very clean and crisp.  I am very happy with the purchase.

"I too want to do a 300 post SS396, probably in LeMans blue."

I'm not sure I want to paint this build the original orange, I was thinking Lemans blue. Maybe painting it with a silver base and lightly going over with the blue... (the two middle pics are alittle dark but maybe the silver base coat will make it a bit brighter.)

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So I had some time to build and I hate how this model is a convertible but has a poorly detailed interior, so I scratch build new armrests and manual window cranks, I also received the correct bumper and taillights for the 69 SS, I got home today and planned on finishing the final details in the interior and get it ready for primer n paint, but I got home and the whole block didn't have power since 2pm! So the light didn't come back until 12am -_- hopefully I have a chance to do more work tomorow  

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG