Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Van + 57 Belair - It's sort of a car - Meet the custom "Belvan"

RestoModGuy

This was a fun personal excercise in bashing two cars together. Years ago when Van were popular, some painted cars on the sides to appear to be a car instead of a van. Since plastic is our medium, why not slice them together.

I had planned on doing a much more detailed build with the 57 doors opening into the van as the point-of-entry and exit, however it was a group build-off with limited time.

I grafted the side panels to the van and wanted the front of the van to appear like the 57, but that took some engineering with widening the front bumper/grill. Overall it was a fun build, certainly different.

Started with this

Photo_2017-03-08_22-31-17.thumb.jpg.67ac

Widened the entire front bumper/grill and "hood"

Photo_2017-03-11_16-18-55.thumb.jpg.17ac

Photo_2017-04-16_17-58-32.thumb.jpg.e4cd

Photo_2017-04-16_18-00-01.thumb.jpg.2b7f

Photo_2017-04-16_17-58-42.thumb.jpg.471b

Edited by RestoModGuy

Oh snap! I too have seen this done as a paint scheme on 1:1s but would never imagine anything like this. Pretty cool and very different.  One question though, how would you get inside?

Thanks for all the nice comments, it really isn't a serious contest build, really just a fun exercise of an idea. 

Jay, originally this build was planned for the 57 doors to be the POE and the van interior was going to be finished out with 57 seats for passengers and the driver would be in the vans cockpit. I molded in the van doors as I didn't want the door panel lines to interrupt the 57's fenders. I simply ran out of time to do all that, so it's a curbside build.