Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mack R685ST Semi Tractor Kit Review

hpiguy

I've got 2 coming to me. Looking forward to them. I'm surprised they didn't include more chrome for the optional chrome bumper, optional roof marker lights and 10 hole disc wheels. Not a big issue because you can get decent wheels and marker lights from the after market.

Ben

Are the 10 hole Alcoas in this issue? I thought that I had heard that it was going to have both fuel tank and wheel options, but I didn't see the Alcoas in the video. I had plans to add a few more of these to the stash, but no Alcoas could change that since a few of my ideas either include having all Alcoa wheels or at least a mix of the front Alcoas with the spoke rears. 

Are the 10 hole Alcoas in this issue? I thought that I had heard that it was going to have both fuel tank and wheel options, but I didn't see the Alcoas in the video. I had plans to add a few more of these to the stash, but no Alcoas could change that since a few of my ideas either include having all Alcoa wheels or at least a mix of the front Alcoas with the spoke rears. 

You can get alcoas from the after market other parts such as alternate marker lights and more modern mirrors. Auslowe stocks them. No biggie. Just a surprise they didn't include that chrome sprue, but included the round tanks. 

Ben

The tires are pathetic. They should have used the 11:00 X 20 Good Year that was originally tooled by MPC for the DM Macks and Dump Trailer. 

Well, each person has their opinion on this stuff. I think they look fine, but I'm sure you have your reasons for not liking the ones in this edition. Thanks for the info, you know a lot about these kits.

This is the tire they should have used. It fills out the wheel better because it's wider across the tread and has a larger circumference. The wheel diameter is still 20", it's just a better looking tire.

Very nice build there. 

Ben

Ordered 2 of these this morning, I can finally build my old 1:1 truck. As far as the tires, to each his own. Personally I'm glad to see the 10:20's. I ran this same goodyear tire on a chip trailer back in the 80's. They will make good trailer tires or a good medium duty truck tire.  And i really needed the spoke wheels for another project. Great looking truck Anthony, that black paint is slick! but if u notice as in the last pic, using the bigger 11:20's doesn't leave a gap between the tires as in a 1:1 truck. All in all, just glad to see it reissued.

I just received mine today. I prefer to build old iron. Most modern trucks don't thrill me very much, but that is simply my preference. I am very happy with the kit overall. Everything seems to look good. I personally even like the tires, but again that is my preference. It would have been nice to have some bulldog mirrors to use with some different brackets, but even at that I'm not going to complain. I'm glad to get the round tanks in this one. I personally was never a big fan of AMT's version of the split rim 10 hole wheels anyway, so the lack of them was not a disappointment for me.  I'm glad to see Round 2 releasing these kits so that builders like myself can afford to build them.