Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 275GTB, Italeri, 1/24

Matt Bacon

Definitely a sweet Ferrari, and you did a great job building it!!  I myself have quite a few Italeri kits, and despite they're shortcomings, I think they are great too. I know what it feels like to not have a model built in over a year too. I've been trying to get a Ferrari F40 in my collection for the past 18 months -it sucks. Glad you were able to get one done!, hope we will see more of your work soon!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all... I think this is what I was inspired by:

MO14_r239_001_SansNumbers_B_closed2.jpg

I had the scheme in mind since the yellow failed, so I really can't remember what got me started...

bestest,

M.

This one is very bizarre to me, never seen another exactly like it. Surely it's a 1966+ 275 GTB4 competiizione, but it appears to have more of a GTO nose treatment than others. EDIT: okay I found it. A 1964 GTB/C Speciale, one of 3 built.

Edited by sjordan2

Very attractive model; your work looks great, but something about the kit proportions looks a little off to my eye. This is by no means any reflection on YOUR work, though.

The whole nose section in front of the wheels looks like it tilts up too much.

Thanks, all... I think this (as with all things with hand-built Ferraris) is complicated.

I've made things more even complicated with the "1:1" picture I posted...

The kicker is that I left off the front bumpers...

If you look at this:

1964-Ferrari-275-GTB-C-Speciale-1.jpg

You can see that the nose cone is actually higher off the ground than the main body floor (which isn't true for the GTO style nose...)

On this one, they've put the front bumpers higher than the chrome trim line under the doors, which I think is where they are MEANT to be (sure are on the Italeri kit....)

546b168ca6125_-_1966-ferrari-275-gtb-c-b

Whereas here, they've levelled up the bumpers and the trim line:

FRR_04_RK0127_05_P.JPG

My instinct, having looked at quite a few images now, is that the Italeri kit is correct: the widest part of the nose cone, where the bumpers are normally fitted, is higher than the chrome trim nder the door, and they shouldn't line up. That means that when the bumpers aren't in position, the nose looks "raised" compared to the rest of the body. The GTO definitely has a "droop snoot" where the nose angles down to a level "floor" all the way along, but that's not true of a standard 275 GTC/B...

That's my interpretation, anyway... when I have a real one in my garage to compare to, I'll be sure to let you all know the real answer!

best,

M.