Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Super bee

vc273

Hi built this one as a motm on another forum and thought I would post the finished build here. Built almost box stock just added a few details such as plug wires and the chrome trim on the front apron. Painted in duplicolor jasmine yellow which is almost a perfect match for the original banana color. Interior painted in a mix of flat, semi-gloss and gloss black and bmf. Cheers and thanks for looking

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b589/vc273v8/1970%20dodge%20super%20bee%20stock/20170131_153518_zpsb512xatr.jpg

photo 20170131_153552_zps9ujt1tog.jpg

photo 20170131_155402_zpsyxqk7kiw.jpg

photo 20170131_155409_zps2pbt1lmq.jpg

photo 20170131_155434_zpsejcybxik.jpg

photo 20170131_155542_zpscypcnwio.jpg

photo 20170131_161814_zpsg5k5xjsg.jpg

photo 20170131_161951_zpsepqsnafh.jpg

Nice Steve!

The paint is beautiful!

If I could make one suggestion it would be to remove the wheels & add some spacers behind them.

The wheels are far too "inboard".

It would make a huge improvement to the stance if the wheels were out closer to the fender openings.

Steve

1970-Dodge-Coronet-Super-Bee-1.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Nice job! That Super Bee is terrific! Love the red detail paint on the tail light panel.

One thing to point out for future builds. On a 1:1 B engine with factory exhaust manifolds you can not route the plug wires between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head ( can't be done). They are routed down in front of the cylinder heads and below the manifolds. On most models the #7 and #8 plug wire runs alongside the valve cover and behind the rear of the cylinder head to the spark plug.

DSC00431-vi.jpg

WF

Thanks everyone for your comments and your tips. Steve noticed the wheel placement after everything was together and with the time restriction of 4 weeks to do the build, I didn't want to start pulling things apart, as I just met the dead line as it was. Thanks for the tip on the plug wiring Walter will keep that for future reference, will have to get the manifolds closer to the block in future. Cheers Steve

Nice job! That Super Bee is terrific! Love the red detail paint on the tail light panel.

One thing to point out for future builds. On a 1:1 B engine with factory exhaust manifolds you can not route the plug wires between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head ( can't be done). They are routed down in front of the cylinder heads and below the manifolds. On most models the #7 and #8 plug wire runs alongside the valve cover and behind the rear of the cylinder head to the spark plug.

DSC00431-vi.jpg

WF

Walter, I have to comment on that, on the B engine OR RB engine with factory exhaust, the right hand (As you SIT in the Drivers seat) side manifold would follow down the inside of the engine on the intake, around the head and behind it to the plug..... THATS correct....

On the left hand side (As you SIT in the Drivers seat) side manifold is made DIFFERENTLY. they ALL route around the FRONT of the head, and back to each plug location.....

0c84b7618bd2edd6c0662f52835cbf0e.jpg

fa1b12f8552c7234cdb3fff7f5ea89f6.jpg

As seen in the above 3 pictures, the TOP manifold is the LEFT hand side one, and naturally the bottom one is the RIGHT hand side one! So then the plug wires were done as so:

2ecb56c53d07e9e4c9a706a3a6048bb0.jpg

Right hand side ---^

Notice the wire in the upper left hand corning of the pic, just behind the head?

7c2c4d4f3a6cb1b910a7f91bee2ed873.jpg

57cf3cccf0cf91ee8e4469849ceedb4d.jpg

Left hand side ---^

ALL the wires around the front, and UNDER the exhaust manifold....

In all the pics I just posted, the exhaust ONLY ones will fit both the B and RB block Wedge engines, the pics of the actual engine range from the 383, 400 to the 440......

Edited by 426-Hemi
Bad Link

John, you are correct when speaking of Mopar muscle cars. I should not have said "most models" because someone (like me) will always find an exception! However, not all B motors had the plug wires routed beneath the manifolds as you can see from the 413 4bbl pic below. The # 5&7 wires were run along the valve covers and over the manifolds. Those wires must have burned up real quick! Remember, when it comes to Mopars, there are always exceptions!:rolleyes:

Unknown-vi.jpg

John, you are correct when speaking of Mopar muscle cars. I should not have said "most models" because someone (like me) will always find an exception! However, not all B motors had the plug wires routed beneath the manifolds as you can see from the 413 4bbl pic below. The # 5&7 wires were run along the valve covers and over the manifolds. Those wires must have burned up real quick! Remember, when it comes to Mopars, there are always exceptions!:rolleyes:

Unknown-vi.jpg

Walter, a few things.... One, we were discussing MUSCLE cars....  Two, that engine you posted is a 413, RB and its ALSO not a "muscle car" engine thats in YOUR picture.... That engine is a Chrysler Light Commercial RB 413, NOT to be confused with the Industrial Chrysler RB 413..... There are 3 yes THREE different versions of the same cubic inch engine! Steves engine is an RB, but you mentioned B engines.... We were not talking about B engines, alone, we were speaking of BOTH engine classes the B & RB class, IN mucsle car applications.

That you posted, you can not SEE the caption:

-Says NOTHING of it being a "car" engine, in fact, looking at the exhaust manifold that one the LEFT of the engine, shows it to be a Light Commercial engine, used commonly in the RV and even large truck applications.....

The same block, made for "Industrial" use:

f58bd3932e0a95b81ef99d8c4d4c1f54.jpg

Now as you had mentioned, there ARE exceptions with good ole Ma Mopar.......... That "Industrial" 413 hanging on the engine hoist, could ALSO be found in medium to moderately sized RV's.... -till 1979....

Now, applying that engine you pictured in a muscle car wouldn't have fit well, the exhaust manifolds would have created clearance issues with the engine bay of which it was in, as BOTH of them, on the Light Commercial version, as well as the Industrial version had symmetrically made exhaust manifolds, where as the car version of the same engine did not, due to pipe clearances. -I don't "own" a real 413 Industrial engine, BUT what I DO own is a B block 383 that IS a "Industrial" engine, and has the exact SAME heads seen on the 413 I pictured hanging from the engine hoist! Difference is all in the intake! (2 differently made "Industrial" class intakes, (Mine however is for a 4 barrel) -MOST had 2 barrel intakes. The Light Commercial use engines were low HP high Torque, as well as the Industrial engines, were done for low HP and high torque output!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Bad Link