Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Oldsmobile?

KWT

Looking for a bit of insight...

Can someone tell me, are these relatively one and the same kit? Is the AMT just the MPC kit rebranded or a different beast entirely?

olds.jpg

Information, stories... good and horror... about building. Any and all info you care to share.

Thank ya much!

They're the same basic kit, but the Hurst/Olds has some different parts from the W-30.  Hurst/Olds has the scoop and rear spoiler, also an automatic transmission.  W-30 has a four-speed and has the under-the-bumper air intake setup.  The kit(s) were created by Ertl.  The W-30 was the last all-new car kit released under the MPC brand (Ertl stopped using it not long afterward) while the Hurst/Olds version was always AMT-branded.  I believe the W-30 was released first ('88 or so) with the Hurst/Olds coming out the following year.

I've always thought these kits have very good detail and smooth, not-too-complicated construction.  I'm in the middle of building one right now, and have had no issues with putting it together.  To my eye, the end-result looks to be spot-on to the 1:1!

I've always thought these kits have very good detail and smooth, not-too-complicated construction.  I'm in the middle of building one right now, and have had no issues with putting it together.  To my eye, the end-result looks to be spot-on to the 1:1!

I built the 4-4-2 when it first came out. My only problem was finding a good match for the gold engine color. Otherwise, it went very smoothly, no construction problems at all and no shape/accuracy problems that I found, or have noticed since. This is what ALL model cars should be like!

Also a very good chassis donor kit for other 68-72 GM A bodies (specifically the AMT 69, 70 & 72 Chevelles and the MPC/AMT 70 & 72 GTOs).

I definitely agree with you about the chassis. Works exellent under all the above and then some.  I like seeing posts on subjects like this as I also learn a lot from all of the questions and answers posted.    Thanks.   Jeff 

I definitely agree with you about the chassis. Works exellent under all the above and then some.  I like seeing posts on subjects like this as I also learn a lot from all of the questions and answers posted.    Thanks.   Jeff 

Me too...

Please keep it coming... You guys are about to talk me into building 1 or 2.. and getting a couple to use as donors.

Have no fear as they are really nice kits.  I built the MPC issue when I was a teenager and the AMT branded one last year.  Like it's been said, they are all the same kit, only some added extras in the Hurst/Olds for obvious reasons.  I think you'll definately enjoy building them.  Here's the one I built last year.  Only mod I did was adding some small spacers to the suspension mounts to raise it slightly.

69Olds442085-vi.jpg

I also had one that donated it's chassis (and cowl) to a AMT '70 Chevelle.  Parts from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo were used as well (radiator and support, ac plumbing, firewall, transmission crossmember, maybe a few others?)

models1658-vi.jpg

models1644-vi.jpg

models1645-vi.jpg

Have no fear as they are really nice kits.  I built the MPC issue when I was a teenager and the AMT branded one last year.  Like it's been said, they are all the same kit, only some added extras in the Hurst/Olds for obvious reasons.  I think you'll definately enjoy building them.  Here's the one I built last year.  Only mod I did was adding some small spacers to the suspension mounts to raise it slightly.

69Olds442085-vi.jpg

I also had one that donated it's chassis (and cowl) to a AMT '70 Chevelle.  Parts from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo were used as well (radiator and support, ac plumbing, firewall, transmission crossmember, maybe a few others?)

models1658-vi.jpg

models1644-vi.jpg

models1645-vi.jpg

Awesome builds there.... If you don't mind me asking, what kind of spacers did you add? And was it to the front and back or just the back?

That Chevelle is sweet...

Edited by KWT

Thanks Jeremy.  I cut the spacers out of a strip of evergreen plastic, then trimmed & filed them into the appropriate shapes.  I had to check, but I'm pretty sure I used the size .030 x .156.  I did this for both front and back, as to me it seems like the car sits a touch too low out of the box.  I've got a 72 Chevelle to bash with someday, too.

I may have to grab a monte carlo or 2, also.

The '90s era AMT '70 Monte Carlo SS had a really nice BBC, and the only kit to my knowledge with stock (correct) exhaust manifolds.

I think the Revell '72 Olds Cutlass chassis/engine are even better than the former '69 Cutlass', but the '69 is cheaper and easier to find, and still pretty good. The 2015 Round2 reissue of the '69 Hurst/Olds Cutlass kit includes tampo printed Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, too, which might be the tipping point for some folks.

Edited by Casey

Wow that Chevelle is beautiful. Kit bash at it`s best.

Question i`m curious about. Would maby the the 70 Monte Carlo be a good donor for chassis,firewall and radiator

support for the 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix? I was of the assumption those are based upon the same platform.

Tommy

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On April 22, 2017 at 8:50 PM, bogger44 said:

69Olds442085-vi.jpg

models1658-vi.jpg

models1644-vi.jpg

models1645-vi.jpg

The '70 Chevelle is awesome!  I'm planning on using the AMT '69 Olds 442 chassis in an AMT '70 Chevelle.  I'm glad I saw this one. 

On 4/20/2017 at 7:00 PM, KWT said:

Looking for a bit of insight...

Can someone tell me, are these relatively one and the same kit? Is the AMT just the MPC kit rebranded or a different beast entirely?

olds.jpg

Information, stories... good and horror... about building. Any and all info you care to share.

Thank ya much!

Yes, all three are "one and the same" as the MPC kits produced in the mid-1980's.  Bear in mind, that in 1986,  Ertl bought up all the existing MPC tooling, produced those kits under the MPC Ertl brand for years.  Ertl began rebranding MPC kits as AMT, due to what is perceived to be the better brand-recognition that AMT has (not sure that's true, but it is what it is).

Art

Art

35 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Does any release of this kit have the "Rocket 350" or are they all 455's ?

Both the W30 442 and Hurst AMT/MPC '69 Oldsmobile Cutlass kits include the 455 engine. That said, you could easily modify the 455 in the kits to pass as an Olds 350, as the block deck height is the only major external difference.parts

The W-30 442 version is scheduled for reissue in early 2018, so it might be worth waiting for, depending upon if the few parts which differ from the 2014(?) Round2 reissue of the Hurst version are a difference maker to you. There's a review topic for the Hurst version here:

Both are good donors for upgrading other GM A-bodies (especially the JO-HAN '70-'72s), but so is the Revell '72 Olds Cutlass, which I feel makes a better engine donor over the AMT/MC '69s. Neither of the three are a bad choice, really, just depends upon your particular needs and tastes.

Edited by Casey