Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Mustang promod /streetracer coming soon

Hey all 

Well as you can see by the heading I'm going to be making a 1965 Mustang GT into a Street Outlaws type promod. As soon as I get the 57 Chevy gasser done, which probably will take some more time, I will be starting on this. I'm not sure what I want to use for a motor, it's either going to be a fuel injected Ford SOHC cammer or a 1,000 cu. in. mountain motor with twin 4" turbos. Well what do you think? I'm kinda leaning towards the mountain motor setup. I think It will probably come down to how much each setup costs. Well here's some pics to kinda get things rolling. So look em over and let me know what you think.

Thanks  RonG 

PS by the way I need the instructions for this kit it's  Revells #H-1286

Thanks again RonG 

20170421_134355.jpg

20170421_134410.jpg

20170421_134426.jpg

20170421_134501.jpg

20170421_134628.jpg

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 1000 cc mountain motor?

I think he meant 1000 cubic inch.  They called 'em mountain motors back in the day when Pro Stocks penalized big blocks so all these guys up in the mountains of VA, NC, GA, etc started building big 500ci+ monsters and match racing them.  Plus they're as big as a mountain.  

hey ron, lookin' cool!!!

i have some friends of mine at Precision Chassis that built a seriously bad '68 mustang.  'moly tube chassis car, struts, 4 link, 903" pat musi powerplant w/ 4 stages, rossler turbo. if you'd like some pics i could supply some.

I think he meant 1000 cubic inch.  They called 'em mountain motors back in the day when Pro Stocks penalized big blocks so all these guys up in the mountains of VA, NC, GA, etc started building big 500ci+ monsters and match racing them.  Plus they're as big as a mountain.  

Thanks Brett. I pre-date the Pro Stock stuff so I didn't recognize the mountain motor term.

Hey bamadon 

Most are based on big block chevys, but are extensively different, mostly bore spacing and deck height. There is a Ford version also. Check em out on the Internet. And yea I meant 1,000 cu. in. Thanks Brett. I  have to order a bunch of stuff for this one. Probably going to be 2 to 3 hundred worth hopefully not more or I will be slipping in the dog house. lol

Thanks  RonG 

hey ron, lookin' cool!!!

i have some friends of mine at Precision Chassis that built a seriously bad '68 mustang.  'moly tube chassis car, struts, 4 link, 903" pat musi powerplant w/ 4 stages, rossler turbo. if you'd like some pics i could supply some.

Hey Dave

Thanks that sounds pretty close to what I want to do. So yea all the pics you can send would be greatly appreciated. If you could could you hold a scale or tape measure up to the items to help with scaling it up. I still trying to get the 57 Chevy gasser done. I have the frame and roll cage just about done and ready for first primer coat, on my way to the store for paint right now. Thanks, and keep that Sonny Leonard mountain motor in that rail. That thing is outrageous!!! You do some amassing work, way above my caliber. Were did you get the slicks and front tires that you have on that 1/8 rail? Did you make them? I need a pair for my 65 stang. loL

Thanks  RonG 

ron, yes i make my own tires and wheels. the tires are 5" neoprene rounds that buy and then machine into tires.

here are some shots of that mustang. sorry no shots with tapes or scales. the car was built 2 or 3 years ago. so the pics are what they are.

10294248_683619521724660_730868644884253

10511621_691483497604929_684756779909021

Edited by comp1839

Thanks Dave 

That's kinda what I was looking for. I went on Sonny Leonards site and saw his mountain motors, especially the Ford ones. Do you know what blocks he uses? I have a custom 460 block I started in 1/8 scale probably 20 some years ago. It has siamezed cylinder bores, don't remember what size I made them, big as I could. I also made a crank shaft, connecting rods and pistons. I made 1 SCJ head, I was going to resin cast the other one. I made a oil pan and timing cover to. The block has all the detail of a real block except the oil passages. I scaled em up from a real block and head. Now if I could just remember which packing crate it is stored in I will dig em out and take some pictures. I had planned on using them in a 32 Ford 3 window coupe with a blower and dual Holleys, but life changed and it never came about. If I can find another 32 kit I may restart the build, but they are scarce and expensive, plus I think the guy who made the 3 window coupe bodys is no longer around, and I haven't seen one on ebay in awhile.

THANKS  RONG 

Someone was designing a pro mod/ pro stock Ford engine recently in scale. I will see if I can find them. Want to say they are on Facebook on TDR's facebook page. I'll take a gander and find out.

Also, Yellowbullet has a ton of pictures of what I believe is this very Mustang through pretty much all the stages of the build.  (that place is a huge invaluable source for pictures!) Between them and Dave I'm am sure there can be enough pictures to make it happen!

Paul

Hey Mr68gts

I know TDR.INOVATIONS has the 427 FE motor and the SOHC Ford motor, that's one of the ones I had planned on using. The other block I was going to use is from 3d specialties (Ron Olsen) he has a Sonny Leonard type mountain motor with verious intake setups, was going with the twin 4" turbos setup, but every thing for the motor and turbos is $265.00!! So saving my pennies till I can afford them. Plus I also need about another  $200.00 or so for wheels, frt. tires, radiator, fuel sell, battery etc...etc...etc. Plus I think I may use his promod chassis which is around $170.00 bucks!!! So lots of mullah or lots of scratch building...lol

Thanks  RonG 

Ron,

They do. They are stock type engines if you wanted to go that route. I found the guys name and some pics so if Photobucket is operational I will get them up of his Ford he is designing. It's a pretty nice piece. Guys name is Jimmey L Fogolini.

Scroll through facebooks TDR site and you can get hold of him that way I'm sure. Here's the clicky... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1441607229444690/

I know in my case, my 481x long block set is 38.00 in 1/16 scale. There's a lot of material in there and that jacks up the prices quickly. D

Depending on how much of a stickler you are for parts in scale, there are parts out there that just simply are not correctly scaled. Rons chassis while I'm sure is a nice piece, there can be no substitute for scratchbuilding it as it will fit your body correctly. It may be a headache to build it yourself but at least you will know it's right and not have to shell out money for something you will possibly have to rework in the long run anyway. Chassis aren't that bad, one tube at a time....lol

UTC_Data1490268362662SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Paul

Hey Paul 

That's pretty cool, I'm a long way from building the stang, still trying to get the 57 Chevy gasser done. Working on the motor as we speak. Get'n. it ready for painting, I'm drilling holes for fasteners right now and modifying a few parts to what I want. Chassis is pretty much done, I have to make all the interior sheet metal, actually aluminum. I need to figure out how I want to do the tilt front end and the steering and dashboard and gauges. So as you can see it will be a while before I get started on the mustang.

Thanks  RonG 

ron, if you look closely at the "ford " motor sonny leonard makes. i believe you'll see no difference to the "chevy" version. they just put ford stickers on it. 

would love to see the 460 block and parts you made. i did a set of boss nine heads and a set of c-460 heads in 1/8. here's a pic. haven't gotten to the block and stuff yet.

not sure about how you feel on accuracy. if you're off the deep end like i am (i think paul's in the same pool as i)  you'll want to be careful about the parts you buy. many of these guys are are  just making things that look close and by close i mean, close until you have to have them interact with other parts. then they're not even in the same ball park. that stuff is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

the engine that paul put up is a ford pro stock motor. good for a little over 500 cubes.  bad ass motor....just as a side note on this motor. there is NOTHING about it that is even similar to the 429 shotgun glidden ran.

i have over 860 pics of that mustang alone from tubing rack to fire up. when and if you are ready let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all 

Well I decided to go with a Brodix BBC from 3d specialties, simulating a 750 cu. In. motor. Went with the twin turbos 3", 26" Goodyear front runners, Billet Specialties Win lite rear wheels and Billet Specialties Win lite front wheels. I started on the drawings of the chassis and the fit of the body. I had to do a drawing of the bbc motor and turbo set-up, basically I have to figure out how to plumb this sucker!!  BOY o BOY is it tight. The turbos end up right behind the front bumper and the exhaust wants to dump right into the front tires. Have to do some weird plumbing to get all of it to fit. I have a lot of work to get this ready for building. I will try to get some pics of the drawings tomorrow. Have to go wife's calling for dinner. 

Thanks RonG 

Hey all 

Here's some pics of the drawings. 1st is a Side view of the car. 2nd is side & top view of the chassis and motor. 3rd & 4th are shots of the motor and turbos. So look em over and let me know what you think. I know it's not the mountain motor but this one comes with the twin turbo set-up.

Thanks  RonG 

20170506_135033.jpg

20170506_134720.jpg

20170506_134741.jpg

20170506_134800.jpg