Model Cars Magazine Forum

HELP!!!!! Civilian Trucks in Military Service

Hey Everybody,
I'm looking for help in finding models of civilian trucks ( big rigs/trailers and pick ups and vans) from the 60's to early 70's that were used by the US Navy .
Specifically for Ford step side pick up and a Ford Econoline cab over pick up .
International Harvester CO-190-220 series trucks and a supplier for the tank on the IH 
Chevrolet  trucks like the ones in the pics
And last but not least a fuel tanker trailer like the ones in the pics
I would like to build models of all these trucks if there are kits or conversions for them 
Any help would be greatly appreciated 
COChef

work_area2-1.jpg

1005395.jpg

Chinese_Air_Force friend-1.jpg

C-5-A-looking small -1.jpg

ruggles_JP5truck.jpg

ruggles_AVGastruck.jpg

The first pick is a Ford Econoline, I think there is a kit out there for that one, or maybe a Jimmy Flintstone conversion. The last photo is super easy, its just a Ford C-600. AMT currently sells this kit as a stake bed, but it includes the parts for a C-900 like pictured. All you will need to do is change to dual headlights. 

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Ford-C-600-Stake-Truck/dp/B002UWXRQ0

Ford Econoline Van, could be modified.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=382046031874&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

The tank trailer could be a modified version of the on with the Dodge L700. 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/lindberg-dodge-l700-tractor-with-shell-tanker-plastic-model-truck-kit-1:25-scale-118

As for the Chevy trucks, the cab is the same as the C10-30 like this kit. Its a start anyway. 

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-monogram-1966-chevy-fleetside-plastic-model-truck-kit-1:25-scale-857225

• 3 weeks later...

The Ford stepside requires a separate cab, since amt choose to offer the unibody style only of the '61-'63 pickup. Thanks to MCR , the separate cab is available. http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/63F100.htm The stepside bed can be pirated from the easily available 53 Ford F 100 amt kit. The medium duty Chevy C 50-60-80 series cab was available from Modelhaus  , but they went out of business a few years ago. I built the M 80 version ( M stands for tandem, C single axle ) about 10 years ago with the Louisville Dump body. It was an excellent complete kit,  hopefully it will be re introduced again. The  60  Chevy stepside can easily be built from the easily available amt 60 fleetside kit with the stepside bed pirated from a easily available '65 Chevy revell stepside kit.

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

IMG 1088 Back in this era I used to work right near Earle Naval Depot in New Jersey. These small pickups were always scooting around town. I was told the Navy used them because they  were small and fit on the ship.  This one is just a mock up. Not finished yet.

Here is a '63 Ford with the older style bed ( correct optional bed for '63 ) Again, this would require the MCR cab, the bed is available in resin listed for '57-'60 pickups http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-to-59-ford-pick-up-6ft-bed-/232334438285?hash=item3618362f8d:g:UsYAAOSw44BYE5dW .

IMG_5238.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

• 2 years later...

Thank you everyone for all the help !!!!!!

I've purchased both the Lindberg tanker kit and the AMT Ford Mail truck and trailer and I found an old Jimmy Flintstone body for the Econoline pick up 
I just got the New Release Moebius 66 Ford F-100 Flareside pick up.
Now to try and find the 60's International cab over and a kit or how to for the odd shaped tank on the back of it 
Now there's one more kit or body that I need . I need a 66-69 Dodge Crew Cab 4X4 Power Wagon like the one in the attached pic's
Again THANK YOU for all the help !! You Guy's Are The BEST
COChef

2.JPG

Cameron728c.jpg

Chevrolet was the first to really market the 4 door trucks to the civilian market back in 73. Prior to that most all 4 door trucks were either military or used in some kind of fleet service like the rail road, logging, construction etc. It 73 Chevy came out with a crew cab that had nice comfortable features, better trim levels, two tone paint and ads that appealed to the "Normal" truck buyer. 

Prior to 1973 I don't think I have ever seen a 4 door truck with anything other than base model trim levels. I had an early 70's Dodge and my Dad had a 68 Ford, both were as basic as you could get. 

I do with there were more 1:24/25 scale versions of these great old work trucks. 

• 1 month later...

In 1963, I caught a ride back to Shasta College (Redding, CA) through a horrible snow storm -- in the dark--  in a 1960 Chev four-door crew truck owned by a fellow student's father ( a logger in Alturas, CA) and luckily it was AWD; we made the 150 miles safely.  Yes, SHE drove all the way!  We called such pickups 'Crummies' in those dear dead days; dunno' if that was a regional thing, or what.  My little bro drove one for the Southern Pacific to pick up train crews in the '60s when he was assistant yard clerk.  He hates to recall it, but the first dawn pickup he made was at a local coffee shop, and in the icy parking lot he lost her and rammed the side of the building.  He was being kidded about that one until he left for a better job...   

So: if I got a Dodge resin cab, what kit would you recommend that I source for a chassis (2WD dualie) and please, one that's in production currently?

Thanks!  Wick