Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 41 Willys Street Rod

GeeBee

And now for something completely different, I've never built a hotrod before, so here goes, and another thing I've never tried is finger nail polish, so this one, if I get it right, will be done in a very nice shade of blue metal flake ....

Removed a few very faint mold lines and re-scribed the panel lines, got the seats built up and started on the engine.

Well the blue flake finger nail polish didn't go to plan, tried it out on the spoon test first, it barely made it through the #5 tip on the Paasche H, however I did find some gold flake finger nail polish, that went well on the spoon test, but didn't cover over the primer on the body, looks like it needs to be put over a gold base first, so the body sat in the stripper for a few days, and today got it back in primer, think I'm going to give the finger nail polish a miss until I've practiced a little more, so after looking through my paint stock, I've decided to do it in Chrysler Neptune blue metallic, a colour from the late 70's.

Gorgeous.

What kind of paint is it Geoff, it's already very shiney

Oh, and do get rid of those thing on the bonnet, Bob's right.

those tabs are now history Shay, the paint is old school cellulose lacquer, I really doesn't need a clearcoat, as it could be polished as it is, but as it's a hotrod, I want the paint to have a real wet look gloss, the colour was used on late Hillman imps, Avengers and Hunters.

I'm not sure just what this clearcoat I got from my local bodyshop is, but it dried pretty much straight away, it's the same stuff I used on the 57 Chrysler, and as I'm going to be a little busy over the weekend, I thought I would get a little work done on it today, it really didn't need wet sanding, there was one tiny dust nib in the drivers door that needed sorting, and then I started on the polishing, using the different compounds I usually do, so far I've got the roof, bootlid, drivers door and front wing done.