Model Cars Magazine Forum

Balancing (too many?) hobbies/life?

russosborne

... And dealing with mind numbing depression as well, which may be the real problem here...

Having dealt with bouts of clinical depression most of my life, I'd have to say it can be a real time thief.

If you can force yourself to get some significant physical exercise, even 20 minutes of brisk walking every other day, I can almost guarantee that you'll feel better and feel more like doing everything you're interested in...in spite of whatever problems you may be having to deal with.

It's always worked for me, better than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Simplify your life. Simplify your life. Simplify your life.

If you have more things in your life than you have time for you have too many things in your life. Take a long, hard look at everything in your life and figure out what really matters at the end of the day and ditch the rest of it. You can't do it all. Purging un needed weight from life is incredibly liberating!

Most of the people I know that have more than one full size vehicle project never get anything significant accomplished on any of them because they lack focus, not to mention the average person doesn't have enough time and money to successfully take on multiple vehicle projects. Now, I do know a guy or two that can successfully handle several projects at a time and make noticeable progress but they are the exception, not the rule. They are also older, financially independent and don't have a wife or kids so they can dedicate all of their free time to their cars. I have two vehicles. A driver and a hobby car. Being able to draw a circle around just one vehicle allows me to focus and actually make progress and not get frustrated or overwhelmed. My Dad has been a shining example of how having too many projects (too much stuff in general) kills progress on anything. Rather than follow in his footsteps I saw the problem years ago and adjusted my life accordingly. I'm '37 and happy. He's 71 and still complaining he can't get anything done. Simple is always better.

I don't get the video game thing, at all. I know people who spend basically every free minute playing video games and at the end of a game session when they turn the TV or Computer off what do they have to show for all that time? Absolutely nothing. I think of the hundreds / thousands of hours of their lives that were spent "driving" animated cars or "shooting" animated people and I just shake my head, what a waste of life and time that could be spent doing something constructive and worthwhile. Those people that I know that spend all that time on games are generally miserable all the time, too, because what they're doing doesn't actually have a positive impact on their lives. You can't spend hours and hours killing imaginary people and be happy. Those same people poke fun at me building models but at least with model building a person has something to show for their time. It's an artistic expression the same as drawing or painting. You can point to it and say, "I did this", display it and enjoy it every day. It's also makes a positive impact on you because when a model is finished a person generally feels happy and proud.

And, Bill is absolutely correct about getting excersize and it comes in many different forms. I mean, even working on / in my yard breaking a sweat for a few hours in the morning makes me feel way more positive and  productive for the rest of the day. The fresh air and sunshine are good for the mind, too!

B)

A lot of you guys are sure lead complicated lives.  I work around the yard in the morning, build models in the afternoon, and watch TV at night.  Every Tuesday we go to adult coloring class for an hour or so.  We make our own cards (birthday, thank you, wedding, etc) and have purchased some tools and dies for those.  Then there's my Veteran activities where I'm involved with 3 different groups.  All in all, I lead a pretty easy life and enjoy everyday I'm above ground.