Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to Decant Spray Cans

I've decanted rattle cans using other methods, and in all of those (including this post) I've run into the annoyance of the straw getting extremely cold, to the point where my finger got numb.

That is because the propellent goes from high pressure state (inside the can) to low pressure (ambient) when it sprays out of the nozzle.  Simple laws of physics (and that is how a Freon-based air conditioning works too).  If you decant in a humid environment you also risk water getting into the decanted paint. When the container you are decanting the paint into cools down, water from the ambient air can start condensing on the inside walls, and if enough condenses it can start dripping down into the paint. Not good.

• 3 weeks later...

I almost never decant a whole can. I try to decant just what I am going to use, as in my experience the can is a better storage solution that a bottle, which tends to dry out in my experience. 

Exactly how I do it!   In addition, I've never bothered with straws, or anything other than just the standard spray nozzle on the spray can--I've simply learned, over the past 50 years or so, to regulate the flow of paint from the spray nozzle as it can be varied by simply not pressing it all the way down.  To further moderate decanting directly into a paint jar (airbrush color jar in my case),I spray the paint against the side (inside!) of the jar, which allows the decanted paint to simply flow down the inside of the jar, without the tendency to "blow back" up and out of the jar, into my face.

As I almost always add at least 10% more lacquer thinner to paint that's going to be airbrushed, seldom do I ever need more than 1/4 of the airbrush jar's 3/4 oz. capacity, as for me, when painting, less is better than more (why obscure all the fine surface details I paid good money to get in a model car kit?

Art

While I have not tried it yet one our club members uses a saddle valve from the plumbing section.  He holds in place with two clamps and turns the valve to start to release the pressure.  Once done he can remove the top with a can opener.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...