Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL East 2017............My take!

MrObsessive

Well, as usual the Tri-State Model Car Club put on one FABULOUS show! Originally, I wasn't planning to go as I had wanted to head to GSL which is next week. Well unfortunately, finances wouldn't let me do that this time around, so I decided to spend the money on NNL East, and I was glad I went! I got there around 6-6:30 Friday evening, and had a really great dinner at Houlihan's-----even though I couldn't eat it all.

Soooooo much good stuff at the NNL, it's almost impossible to see everything! I'm not sure of the numbers, but I'd say there were at one point 700 people there perhaps??

For those of you who've never been there-----you GOT to make the trek at least once!  If you click here, you'll see the pics I took. There's no rhyme or reason to the pics taken, just what was catching my eye at that moment. Enjoy!

I gotta tell ya........I'm not a street rod kinda guy, but I couldn't help but take several pics of this!

IMG 2424IMG 2425IMG 2426IMG 2427This was built by Juha Airio who I had quite a long conversation with, and also Tapani Rauramo of AirTrax. 

The bodywork on this was flawless, and it wasn't till I saw the back end of it that I figured out that he used an Edsel of all things! That was before I saw what he wrote on the card! :D

Thanks, Bill, great photos. It must have been so cool to see Juha's work in person!

Steve

Steve, I got to have a very long conversation with Juha--------we traded tips back and forth! ;)

Yeah, Juha's models have to be seen in 3D to really appreciate all the work that he puts in to them! Tapani Rauramo is a great builder as well. I was REALLY tempted by the resin Aston Martin that he had for sale........but it was a bit pricey, and I thought it better to hold off on that one for a bit.

Steve, I got to have a very long conversation with Juha--------we traded tips back and forth! ;)

Yeah, Juha's models have to be seen in 3D to really appreciate all the work that he puts in to them! Tapani Rauramo is a great builder as well..

Agreed!   I kept going " hey did you see this?  wait, its another model from the guys from finland"  they were all absolutely beautiful.   I love the custom photo-etched bits, the window tinting, and overall super clean work... I definitely picked up some tips and ideas just from looking at them.  

This show is absolutely insane, Bill I missed talking with you... it was a whirlwind.  The amount of quality models on display this year was amazing, I would venture to say that everything I saw would be a 1st place contest winner at a local show... no slouches in the entire bunch.  (excited to hear what the actual numbers were.. guessing 2000models?  maybe? )

Last year was my first time attending, and I was so overwhelmed,  this year I knew what I was getting into and was able to truly enjoy it.   A great chance to meet people in person, and truly enjoy a "model family reunion".     Thank you to everyone that makes this possible.

Tom Geiger told a couple of us,  over breakfast at the La Quinta, there were over 2.000 people through the doors--HUGE family reunion of model car builders!

Art

No,  more like 1,000 to 1,200  which is our usual crowd.  2,000 would overwhelm the building, and we wouldn't want that!  We don't publish attendance anymore since we are not in competition with anyone, nor do we wish to grow this any larger.

Okay, then, fine.  I'll help you out, Tom.  I'll stay home next year.  :P

Nooo!  You have to come.  We'll make Art stay home!   :lol:

The numbers always work out.  There will be a couple guys who cannot make it,  but there will be an NNL East first timer that a group has brought along!

Edited by Tom Geiger

We fortunately don't need to limit attendance here in the Motor City. We WANT more attendees! Our NNL is November 12th,2017. Come to Metro Detroit and see our show, vendor area( 275 tables for vendors), and facilities. We've recently gotten more participation from surrounding states and I'm sure these participants will attest to the quality of our event.

Edited by ZTony8