Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL East and the most wanted list!

If you remember last year, I composed a thread in which I took pics of what was listed as the most wanted kits that modelers wanted. Ed Sexton from Revell was there, and once again this year at the NNL he had a tablet for those of us to list what we'd like to see kitted in the future. By the time I got to the tablet, there were six pages of wants listed...........there were probably more listed later on although some were maybe repeats of what was already written down, as there are more than likely repeats on several pages here.

I didn't take a pic of what I had written down--------------1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, and one I mentioned to Ed personally, a 1977-79 Ford Thunderbird which could be based somewhat on their Starsky and Hutch Torino. Heck, I said that even if it was a lowrider snap kit, I'd take it! :D

He nodded his head in agreement, so we'll just have to wait and see if it ever comes to fruition!

Ok..........here are the lists!

Img 2307Img 2308Img 2309Img 2310Img 2311Img 2312

Edited by MrObsessive

Oh for certain, 98% of what's on that list will never see the light of day. At least the two I mentioned to Ed could be candidates as they can be based on what's already in Revell's tooling. Interesting just the same, and there was a crowd around Revell's display area as the head guy himself was there to take questions. ;)

Some of those on the list don't seem too impossible when you consider that they have a head start on some/most of the pieces. 

For instance, to come up with a 68/69 Buick, Monogram already kitted a 70, so with some modifications a kit could be had. Same goes for a Buick Regal or Pontiac Grand Prix in the mid-80's as they just released the Cutlass and have half of the kit already (mostly chassis and possibly an engine).

I remember seeing the first gen Bronco on the list years ago and thought we would NEVER see that one and yet here we are in 2017 with that kit!

Realistically speaking, I wouldn't be surprised to see some variants off of the 57 Ford, it just makes sense. I would like to see a nicely detailed 67-72 GM pickup truck, maybe a couple of versions (2wd/4wd, long and short bed and a Suburban).

Proof that The model companies do listen;

Here is a list of the most requested new tools from 1997, 20 years ago, as published by another model magazine as part of their Kit Of The Year awards voting...

1.) 1952-54 Ford

2.) 1941-48 Chevy

3.) 1958 Edsel

4.) 1957 Chrysler 300C

5.) 1958 Plymouth Fury

6.)1966 Chevelle

7.)1970-72 Chevy Monte Carlo

8.) 1962 Pontiac Catalina 421 SD

9.) 1997 Dodge Dakota 

10.) 1948-50 Oldsmobile

11.1941-48 Ford

12.) 1965 Mercury Comet

13.) 1960 Chevy Impala

14.) 1970 Ford Torino Cobra

15.) 1948-54 Hudson

16.) 1966 Pontiac GTO

17.) Dodge Avenger Pro Stock

18.) 1948 Tucker

19.) 1973-77 Chevy Monte Carlo

20.) 1956 Chevy tied with 1967 Chevy Truck, Dodge Nascar race truck

Out of the 22 Models on the list, over the last 20 years only three haven't been kitted.

They started that list at NNL Milwaukee, and I'll freely confess to having posted a bunch of those requests: items 2 through 8 on the first page and a 1st-gen Econoline at the bottom that was cut off, and the '39/'40 Merc and '57 Buick Century on subsequent pages. At least they're asking!

ETA: I deeply admire the optimism of the person who requested the '30 Buick sedan. For that matter, I admire the optimism of anyone who requests a '30s car today!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Sometimes it is interesting to see what is on these lists, and what's NOT on these lists.  I 'll double the votes for the Daytona Coupe and add a 260/289 Cobra like I put on the list at the Milwaukee NNL.  If Revell would just give us Ferrari SWB and the Aston DB5 like they advertised I would be really happy.  Release the race-spec Ford GT and my wallet will be empty.

I bought 5 S&H Torinos and would buy 5-10 1977 TBirds.

I spoke to Ed Sexton directly about the 1977-79 T-Birds (besides writing it on the wanted list), and how there are some things that could be shared with the Torino, namely the chassis and running gear. I said that even if it was a snapper lowrider I'd take it!

He raised his eyebrows and said, "Hmmm......"

Time will tell! :D 

I spoke to Ed Sexton directly about the 1977-79 T-Birds (besides writing it on the wanted list), and how there are some things that could be shared with the Torino, namely the chassis and running gear. I said that even if it was a snapper lowrider I'd take it!

He raised his eyebrows and said, "Hmmm......"

Time will tell! :D 

That would be cool!  I owned a 77 T-Bird for a while (it was a hand-me-down from my mom). Mine was cream/dark brown.  It sure was a unique looking car.

And again, No Mercer Raceabout, to go with the ex-MPC Stutz Bearcat. I know that tooling up the Bearcat was a TV tie-in Fluke, but can we Please get a 1912-1913 Mercer? Both cars are available in 1/32 and 1/12 scale, but not in 1/25.

If I'm gonna dream, might as well dream big. :)

I think your my new best friend .......... it's so refreshing to hear honest common sense for a change - I'm with you - I'm thrilled with what I have - it would be enough; if I were half the age I am.  

Deep down I completely agree. 

If all the model manufactures quit today. I've got more then my share to hold me over there rest of my days.

Although I would definitely take notice if the wanted to do a late 50s Dodge or Desoto as a last hurrah .

If much improved kits (say a real Boss 351 or 71/73 Mach1) was done I would gladly sell most of the incorrect AMT and MPC kits I have collected over the years.  Since there is about a 2% chance of that happening I will turn those deficient kits into something resembling the real thing.  My definition is nostalgia is holding on to old stuff because something better has not come along.

Edited by vamach1
typo