Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Ford Falcon T/A

afx

Been kicking this idea around for a while now but didn’t really care for the Trumpeter Falcon.  After doing some work to the body to soften the slab sided look I decided I could move to the next stage.

DSCN4495

The next stage being stuffing the Revellogram GT350R chassis under the car, not replica stock accurate but it will work for a race car.  Trumpeter calls the Falcon kit 1:25 scale but the wheel base is very close to the GT350R’s 1:24 scale. I started by grafting on the inner fenders.

DSCN4488

Had to do a little shaping at the rear of the chassis and move the rear axle forward a few scale inches but easy work.  More work to do on the fit but I am happy with the start. 

DSCN4491DSCN4492

Thanks Kevin.  I'm using the GT350 interior for a few reasons:

• The transmission/drive shaft tunnel is part of the interior tub
  • It's already race prepped

In order to make it fit I had to reshape the dash to match the Falcon's cowl and move the dash forward about 4mm .

DSCN4504

Thanks Rex & Ron, if Moebius every actually does issue T/A kits I don't suspect a Falcon will be one of them.

Sanded down the Mustang door card detail and scribed a panel shut line to match the Falcon.

DSCN4505

Edited by afx

That's looking pretty slick, JC. Great capture of the 'look'.

Fwiw, here's a pic of the trumpeter and amt falcons together to help with massaging the trmptr body. A lot of improvement can be made by simply rounding the lower edges of the body to get rid of the slabsided look. Should have a 3/4 view here too somewhere...

P6253058.JPG

That's looking pretty slick, JC. Great capture of the 'look'.

Fwiw, here's a pic of the trumpeter and amt falcons together to help with massaging the trmptr body. A lot of improvement can be made by simply rounding the lower edges of the body to get rid of the slabsided look. Should have a 3/4 view here too somewhere...

Thanks Mike.  I have a few of the AMT Falcon but for this build I wanted to work with the Trumpeter.  And yea I rounded off the lower edge of the body.  In addition I took a wedge out of the rear valance.  This allowed me to get even more lower body roll. I may to do some reshaping of the wheels well as well. 

Do you own a 1:1 Falcon?  What are your thoughts on the Trumpeter compared to the AMT?

DSCN4507

Edited by afx

Very nice, the Mustang chassis is a great fit. I'll keep this in mind for my eventual Trumpeter Ranchero build.

Ironically, I did this same chassis swap from a Shelby GT350R into a '64 Falcon - in 1:18 scale.

Very nice work Mike.  I don't own the Ranchero kit, what is your impression of that body compared to the hardtop and convertible?

The Ranchero body is about the same, too blocky down low and the roof appears to be a little too low in the front, as though it's been angle chopped - so some massaging will have to take place there as well. It's got other problems, like a concave grill where the '65 is more convex, gas filler caps on both sides of the bed, and taillights a little too far inboard, nothing really major. I own a 1:1 Ranchero, as well as a '64 Sprint HT, so I've got some decent reference material on hand.

The Ranchero body is about the same, too blocky down low and the roof appears to be a little too low in the front, as though it's been angle chopped - so some massaging will have to take place there as well. It's got other problems, like a concave grill where the '65 is more convex, gas filler caps on both sides of the bed, and taillights a little too far inboard, nothing really major. I own a 1:1 Ranchero, as well as a '64 Sprint HT, so I've got some decent reference material on hand.

Then I'll ask you too Mike, what do you think of the Trumpeter '64 HT?  Do you like the AMT more?

Edited by afx

I don't have a 1:1 one at the moment but have owned a '64 sedan delivery and several mustangs. I do believe the amt body is truer to the prototype, especially in the contours and general shape. With a few tweaks, as Mike says, the trmptr body is definitely usable and affordable ones seem to be easier to find. Pattern making seems to be a semi-lost art, at least as far as the comparison between the models developed in the '50s and '60s by amt, johan and revell and current offerings goes. The old model bodies, taken from carved masters, seem to possess a certain 'soul' whereas the computer developed stuff comes across as sterile and just slightly 'off' in general. Just my two cents ^_^   

One thing they did capture on the trmptr falcon better than anyone else amazingly was the inner fenders and braces.

mike

Edited by mk11

Mike's right on. The AMT bodies are better, not absolutely perfect, but those guys back in the '60s sure knew how to capture the feel of the cars in a way that seems less common today. The headlight rings on the AMT grille are too deep and need to be trimmed down a bit, but almost nobody does that. The tulip panel (between the trunk and rear window) on the Trumpeter is not right; the panel curves up at the front to meet the rear window opening on the 1:1, while the Trumpeter just forms a sharp angle in that area, making the panel to window transition a bit clunky looking. Looks like an easy fix to me.

The Trumpeter has the advantage of being reasonably cheap and available, and the slightly bigger/wider size works to your advantage with the 1:24 Monogram Mustang chassis as the Trumpeter claims a 1:25 size, but is really a little bigger - though not as big as a true 1:24. Call it 1:24.5. One thing you may find is that the wheel tubs on the Monogram chassis are a bit shallow, and you may elect to minitub them and narrow the rear end a bit so you can fit wider tires, the T/A Falcons ran some pretty big meats back there.

Thanks for your opinions' mk11 (Mike) and Maindrian Pace (Mike).  

I agree the inner fenders and braces are nice but I chose to use the Mustang for easy of fitting the Mustang chassis.  I am doing more work on the Trumpeter body and each change keeps improving the look.  I'll post some comparison photos when I think I am finished.

The one thing I notice about the AMT is that the body seems too shallow vertically, top-to-bottom.

I've been grinding away at the rear wheel tubs.  If I can't get enough clearance with this method I may re-build them as well as shorten the rear axle.  

I haven't found a set of tires I'm happy with yet but I have a nice set of wheels.

Edited by afx

Turns out the 66 amt fairlane/comet chassis could be made to fit as well and has bigger rear wheelhouses. It was adapted for the recent '65 comet release with some fresh engraving to bring it closer to the actual comet/falcon floor stamping.

mike

P1018263_zpswv17fq4da.jpg

Edited by mk11