Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for ideas for a International DT-466T

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing research on the IH school bus lately too ! Been searching for a hood from the 2575 IH tractor

Gary wallace suggested using the IH motor from the farm  tractor kit as a base for the DT-466T engine.

I had the same idea, but my brother is a school bus mechanic and he said that they were very different. I don't know for sure. He may would take some reference pictures though.

If you can find a First Gear diecast IHC S Series Service Truck in 1/25th scale, it has a very nice DT466 engine in it. Sure, it's a diecast, but it is a superbly detailed one. I found one on eBay that was not in the greatest of condition, but had a perfect engine. I have a friend that is presently using it to see if he can make a resin replica of it.

Related image

Edited by redneckrigger

Please let me know if he does do a resin of it, I would love to buy one from him. You wouldn't know if its a DT466 or a DT466E? The E is the electronic version and the other is mechanical. Id be ok with either, but have a DT466. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my personal 1:1 1985 International School Bus. It is a conversion, or Skoolie. I have turned it into an RV. The front end is not a problem, I can get a resin cab and hood, its the engine that is my issue. 

IMG_2444.JPG

were did you get the bus shell from?? The model kit!

Please let me know if he does do a resin of it, I would love to buy one from him. You wouldn't know if its a DT466 or a DT466E? The E is the electronic version and the other is mechanical. Id be ok with either, but have a DT466. 

I worked for an International dealer from 1990-2005, and from what I see in the pic, by the chassis and engine bay component locations, that would not be a 466E that would either be a B or C Both would work for your bus project. The radiator surge tank was moved to the right side of the radiator, before the E model was developed. That unit still has the surge tank on the left side of the firewall. 

At this point I may just skip worrying about the engine and just use what ever 6 cylinder diesel I can find and paint it to match my engine, or at least mod it to be closer. It seems there is no 1/25 scale DT-466. I will have my work cut out for me on the ret of the bus, so engine detail may just have to be close enough.