Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion Tandem Roller Under Construction

Years ago, I built a White 3000 tractor, with the intent of building a Galion tandem roller and lowboy to go with it. The truck was done almost 30 years ago, (as seen in my avatar)...............the lowboy last year, and finally, I started cutting parts for the roller tonite! I have not been able to find a lot of reference material, but did find a manual, and lots of photos of the outside of the roller. I used to work for a construction company back then, and we had one in the back lot. But, i never got to take detailed photos of it, and can no longer access it to do so. So.................a little bit of artistic license will be taken with the innards of the beast, but outside, it should look pretty good. Time will tell how it turns out! I laid out the skin on a big piece of plastic sheet, and drew details on it from the manual I had, scaled to the proper 1/25th size. Cut it out, fabricate a frame for the bottom, put a belly pan on it, and I have a reasonable semblance of the real roller. I chose the gas powered model over the diesel, so I used a Chevy 6 cyl. block with a stretched flathead head on top. so far, so good.2323232323
IMG_2913_zpsm5i7ki7j.jpgIMG_2914_zpss2zi9uvz.jpgIMG_2915_zpst3ye0eob.jpgIMG_2916_zpsepcjml7y.jpgIMG_2919_zpszx4nefln.jpgIMG_2956_zps2vm13ljz.jpgIMG_2957_zpsqtn0q7tp.jpgIMG_2958_zpsqfkei6tx.jpgIMG_2959_zpsabyq4jaj.jpgIMG_2961_zpsfi4ubhv8.jpgIMG_2962_zpskseinj8n.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

Nice job on that body, Tom ... the front curve looks right on and seems to have bent to shape naturally!

I'm surprised to see an engine, but that's natural too .. for us shameless detailers. ;)

You can do some Unlimited Use blacktop with that baby.

It's interesting that Galion is also the name of the town it was made in.

Thanks for the good words, guys! Since I no longer can check out the real one, out of necessity, I'm building this one from the outside in. Kind of a different approach, but it sure will look good when done.

Nice job on that body, Tom ... the front curve looks right on and seems to have bent to shape naturally!

I'm surprised to see an engine, but that's natural too .. for us shameless detailers. ;)

You can do some Unlimited Use blacktop with that baby.

It's interesting that Galion is also the name of the town it was made in.

Mike, the prototype for this is in your backyard. It is parked in the lot owned by Maxymillian construction on the corner of Putnam Rd. and Rt. 7. It is just behind the fence on the edge of Putnam Rd. I ran that shop for years, doing truck and equipment repairs, building equipment, and painting everything they owned, until 1991 when I got injured, and couldn't do that work any longer. The old girl was still parked in the same place, last I looked. she probably has grown roots by now!

Thanks for the good words, guys! Since I no longer can check out the real one, out of necessity, I'm building this one from the outside in. Kind of a different approach, but it sure will look good when done.

Mike, the prototype for this is in your backyard. It is parked in the lot owned by Maxymillian construction on the corner of Putnam Rd. and Rt. 7. It is just behind the fence on the edge of Putnam Rd. I ran that shop for years, doing truck and equipment repairs, building equipment, and painting everything they owned, until 1991 when I got injured, and couldn't do that work any longer. The old girl was still parked in the same place, last I looked. she probably has grown roots by now!

I'm sure you could get access to it, If it's still there. You should still have some pull there ... makes me wonder who's running the place now, pretty sure Maxy was there when I retired 9 years ago and he was a few years older than I. We got along well with both of us structural engineers and car guys.

Edited by Foxer

Tom:  Don't forget to add water to the drum?:rolleyes: That's pretty cool!

Good one! I'll add water to the drum, but I'm NOT painting it red! LOL!

Making the rear drum, the smaller of the two. Going to make the front one tomorrow, then will be gone on vacation for two weeks. More to come on our return.IMG_2985_zpsqr5fd34l.jpgIMG_2986_zps6tbok6lb.jpgIMG_2987_zpssqx443ba.jpg