Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion Tandem Roller Under Construction

• 2 weeks later...

Got back to the bench for a bit..............got the front drum yoke made up. Was looking for some heavy stock to make it up from, and found a couple old M16 rifle cleaning tooth brushes and a regular toothbrush just perfect for the job. Then I turned a groove on the front drum to separate them into two drums. The chassis had a couple stiffeners and structural parts installed. I am setting this aside for a bit until an operators manual arrives for this roller, to show me some more details. But, since the roller can't get from job to job by herself, the old White and lowboy have to be up to the job. And those old beavertail lowboys with ramps are pretty steep. So, in order to give the roller an assist to get aboard, I made up a pony powered winch on a skid to install on the neck of the lowboy. This will get the roller aboard as well as help lift up the hinged ramps. Made a 2 cylinder flathead engine, winch drive, and frame out of Evergreen strips and parts box goodies. Looks the part to me! Still have to wire and plumb it, but it fits like a glove, and looks vintage like the rest!IMG_3890_zpsnbbhjxag.jpgIMG_3893_zpsg2xd0srx.jpgIMG_3891_zpssgeryqac.jpgIMG_3892_zpsq7rhd9cx.jpgIMG_3894_zps6d8zstlf.jpgIMG_3898_zpsnuht5aoh.jpgIMG_3900_zpsri9yuuf2.jpgIMG_3902_zpsd9jqtqnq.jpgIMG_3904_zpsn2mkmgsp.jpgIMG_3905_zpslwjyvdgc.jpgIMG_3906_zpsa4tgzitp.jpgIMG_3907_zpsdx0zcwqc.jpgIMG_3908_zpsyp4qyhke.jpgIMG_3909_zpsgy6kz1vd.jpgIMG_3910_zpswmsgzrnz.jpg

Thanks, had a GREAT trip................London, Paris, Normandy............absolutely incredible!

Did you go through the Tunnel between London and Paris? ... I wonder where they go from right to left hand drive? :lol:  Many, many years ago we just dropped the VW in Calais and took the ferry, rather than try driving on the wrong side of the road. ... it WAS a blast driving around Paris!

Did you go through the Tunnel between London and Paris? ... I wonder where they go from right to left hand drive? :lol:  Many, many years ago we just dropped the VW in Calais and took the ferry, rather than try driving on the wrong side of the road. ... it WAS a blast driving around Paris!

Yeah, we took the tunnel, at 291 KPH.............about 185 MPH, (their top speed is 331 KPH),.....................smoother than any wheeled vehicle I have EVER ridden in. I didn't drive in Paris, but we took another train to Caen, and rented a car there to drive around Normandy. It was a trip of a lifetime! We climbed to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and watched the traffic for a bit. There are 12 separate roads that converge at the big roundabout around the Arc. One of our tour guides told us they tried to install traffic controls many times to manage the traffic but eventually gave up. It is an absolute hoot to watch 12 different fully overloaded roads spill their traffic into the same rotary with zero traffic controls at the same time. It is amazing, everyone trying to occupy the same spot at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After searching for a while trying to find details of the gear drive system for these old girls, I finally found a manual that showed what I needed. So, after a trip to the LHS and finding some appropriate gears that are from RC trucks, this is what resulted.  I put a large drive gear on the compression drum.  Then made up a reduction gear with a spur that drives the drum. Then the primary drive spur gear was added. It took a bit of measure twice/ cut once to get it all to fit and actually work,  but it came out well and follows the prototype nicely. I made a gear cover that will attach to the hinged door that is in process.  The engine and drive transmission will now be finished and installed along with the brakes and all of the control linkages. 

The steering drum yoke was finished up as well by making the pivot and tilt yoke as can be seen. I made a working hydraulic cylinder for the steering that will be installed next.  Hydraulic, gas, and water tanks will be next along with all of the access doors and operators platform.  

The lowboy to haul the roller around has had hinged ramps added and the pony winch is also nearing completion, just needing the wiring for it and paint. One step at a time!

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG