Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion Tandem Roller Under Construction

WOW.....this is the kind of project I love!!! I missed the early work....now gone photo wise......but will watch now. I have always had a road roller project in the back of my mind......a little earlier vintage. GREAT WORK! 

Thanks to all for the great words! Thanks also to Photobucket for dropping a nuclear bomb on forums and sites world wide! But live and learn!  Will try to keep this project going!

Rainy day at the work bench...... wired the engine, made the access doors with the ventilation screens and the gear cover door, installed the steering cylinder which works, made the water tank, made the transmission and right angle drive box, made the nameplate for both ends, installed the foot openings to climb aboard, installed the front top skin, and only glued my fingers together twice!  Now it's starting to look like something. Still have tons of details to do as well as the operators platform but it's getting there!

IMG_4334.JPG

IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

That soaking rain yesterday looks to have been worth it, thou it didn't spark me.

That lettering looks good ... what a job cutting that out! You were cranking ... all looking great and that steering knocks me out!

That soaking rain yesterday looks to have been worth it, thou it didn't spark me.

That lettering looks good ... what a job cutting that out! You were cranking ... all looking great and that steering knocks me out!

Thanks, Mike. The lettering is actually from a company called Kit Kraft. Here is the link:  Don't remember seeing a brand name..........https://kitkraft.com/products/3-16-plastic-letters

They are easy to use and come in several different sizes................perfect for the cast name plates these old machines commonly had.

Actually, the steering was the easiest part of this whole build so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit more done.......all the sheet metal, operators platform, external control levers and pedals, all internal hydraulic hoses and control rods and brake, clutch and shifting linkages, engine installed, seat, and a few other engine control details.  Still have fine details, hinges, grab handles, batteries, tow hooks, water system and about 25 punch list items to do before it's ready for paint.  Aside from kit parts used for the seat, radiator, and the kit bashed 6 cylinder flat head engine, this is totally scratch built, a first for me.  Closer every day!

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Simply jaw-dropping amazing scratchbuilding.  Are you sure you don't have a bunch of little scale welders, machinists, and metal workers running around your bench?  Looking forward to updates.

I wish! It took me longer to figure out HOW & WHAT I was going to do than it took to do it. I gathered all sorts of pieces and parts, and sat and planned for days.........................and finally just said the heck with it and threw them all together. The hardest part is due to the way this thing is built, all of the detailing is being done through the actual access panels of the roller, and was not done before the sheet metal was put on, VERY difficult for someone whose thumbs don't work very well, but great therapy. Thanks for the good words! Now I just have to find a tiny little painter guy to crawl inside this thing to paint it!

It keeps looking better and better ... fantastic detailing!

And, all here should know your gun shop won Best of the Berkshires, a vote by customers of everything in the county!

Thanks Mike! And thanks for the good words about our gun shop......it was a total surprise to us, but much appreciated. And totally owed to our fantastic customers and friends!

Edited by redneckrigger

A little hint about painting the inside.  It may be a pain with the engine in place but paint the inside with a brush using the same color as the outside.  Then when you paint the outside if there is any overspray that gets inside you will never know the difference.  Done that on a couple of pieces and you don't get all of that extra spray paint.  Little places get paint that otherwise would not.  (Just my two cents!B))

An example of what I mean.  Interior of the rear pump compartment was brush painted. in the first photo.  In the second photo is the finished paint job of the same area.

134.thumb.JPG.389646fba542bc29c25566c0ee139.thumb.JPG.62afb5cd32541e7c108ae79e9d

Edited by Chariots of Fire

A little hint about painting the inside.  It may be a pain with the engine in place but paint the inside with a brush using the same color as the outside.  Then when you paint the outside if there is any overspray that gets inside you will never know the difference.  Done that on a couple of pieces and you don't get all of that extra spray paint.  Little places get paint that otherwise would not.  (Just my two cents!B))

An example of what I mean.  Interior of the rear pump compartment was brush painted. in the first photo.  In the second photo is the finished paint job of the same area.

134.thumb.JPG.389646fba542bc29c25566c0ee139.thumb.JPG.62afb5cd32541e7c108ae79e9d

I will certainly try that! Yeah, having the engine in place will be a pain, but it is also all painted the same color as the roller. But, I appreciate the advice...............never thought of that! Thank you sir!

Got all of the hinges and final details in place and a coat of primer on it. Then I promptly broke the entire front drum pivot yoke off and had to do a major reconstruction.  Oh well! Got the repairs done and final bodywork touch ups done and hit it with a coat of paint which I also screwed up, resulting in a swim in the purple pond. Just got done with a redo of the paint job, and it will suffice.  As always we are our own worst critic, but it will pass the fifty foot test! Final assembly, decals and lettering, minor weathering, detail painting, and finishing up the lowboy and pony winch and MAYBE, just maybe, I'll be able to stick a fork in this one!

IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG