Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Happened To The AMT 32 Ford Kits?

37 minutes ago, keyser said:

I've never seen the Snake Eyes box. That's worthy of a reissue.

The Snake-Eyes issue was supposedly short-lived because the tooling was damaged during its production run.  Bits of info about that surfaced in the old CAR MODEL magazine.  The tool was repaired for the mid-Seventies Street Rods series reissue, but that and subsequent reissues omitted most of the original optional parts.  Those may have been casualties of the repair work.  Ertl unblocked a few things, but other parts never did resurface.

The Collectors Series issue may have been produced concurrently with the Snake-Eyes, as it is the toughest one in that series to find also.  Same parts, optional parts not mentioned in the instructions, no slicks, no decals other than the "plaque" for the clear display base (the one thing not in the Snake-Eyes version).

On 4/29/2020 at 3:04 PM, Casey said:

Odd that Round2 has yet to reissue the iconic AMT '32 Ford 5-Window kit, almost 15 years now after they acquired the AMT assets. Perhaps the last run of kits though DTR introduced some problems?

My vote for reissue box art if a reissue happens:

sl160064-vi.jpg

I also find it odd that Round2, this far along into their existence, hasn't run either the 5W or roadster yet. Unless their is something wrong with the tool? AMT/Ertl even brought back some of the missing parts when they did the ProShop edition back in the late 90's, so that one is quite close to being ready for a retro style release as far as tooling goes.

I love the Snake Eyes box art, and that would definitely have my vote for the reissue boxart. And i think most (if not all) the parts to do that version were still included in the last version RC2 released.

• 6 months later...

A funny story about the AMT 32 Vicky..

6476E8B9-641E-4EC5-A29C-2EB585658314.jpeg.89334ff00032fff33cbcfddb2a28f2f0.jpeg

Back when was building this one, I wanted to have interior window surrounds, like you see on the door above. So I cut up an extra body to use them on the reverse sides, both door and rear side glass.   That’s when I discovered that the windows are actually different sizes!  Nothing like manually created tooling from the old days!

Seeing how these kits were among the first plastic automotive kits that many of us had any interest in it's not hard to see that there is still a great fondness for them.

Contrary to Misha's comment "The Victoria and Phaeton versions are the only ones in 1/25th" all of the AMT '32 kits are 1/25th.

Interesting trivia, All of their optional engines are interchangeable from kit to kit along with many other early Trophy series kits.

Yes, certainly a strong bit of our nostalgia.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, Greg Myers said:

Seeing how these kits were among the first plastic automotive kits that many of us had any interest in it's not hard to see that there is still a great fondness for them.

Contrary to Misha's comment "The Victoria and Phaeton versions are the only ones in 1/25th" all of the AMT '32 kits are 1/25th.

Interesting trivia, All of their optional engines are interchangeable from kit to kit along with many other early Trophy series kits.

Yes, certainly a strong bit of our nostalgia.

Not, to be argumentative, but pretty sure Misha was saying that the AMT versions of the Vicky and Phaeton are the only ones available in 1/25 of those body styles.