Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Happened To The AMT 32 Ford Kits?

I really like the AMT 32 kit - it isn't the most detailed comapred to the Revell Deuce kits, but it's still cool in it's own way!  I remember, maybe 10 yers ago, they could be had for peanuts and everyone seemed to be stocking them but not any more.  Best I can find is ones like this on eBay for $35 or so. 

What happened to this line of kits?  Did AMT fold and they stopped making them?  Is it considered a rare kit now?  I kinda wish I'd stocked up when I had chance (and the extra cash)...

It seems to be that the Vicky kit is slightly more readily available, and the more detailed buiding options for the chassis of that one are cool, but I DO like the 5 window body

That's the kit I'm using in this WIP.  I bought it from a friend at the end of the NNL North swap a few years ago for $5 because he couldn't get $8 or $10 for it all day. There are some things to like about it and for the older modelers there's something sentimental about it, but I'm not sure how much demand there is for it. Personally I often prefer the old AMT axle kits.

Edited by Lunajammer

You just need to do a little digging, There are so many different releases, but pretty much after the 80's they are all the same except for the decals. The latest versions have been released through Dirt Track Racecars. First link is reasonably priced, the second is pricey but appears to have the original decal sheet replicated.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=252841175920&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMT-DIRTRACK-RACING-1932-32-FORD-V-8-COUPE-3-IN-1-MODEL-KIT-OPENED-/311835072509?hash=item489ad197fd:g:xAsAAOSwuxFY2ub9

And Dirt Track Racecars has the same kit a little cheaper, 3rd item down the page. 

http://www.dirttrackracecars.com/OrderModels.htm

Edited by Draggon

Ahh, so Round 2 has the AMT tooling huh?  Excellent - I hope they reissue it!  Thanks Brett!

Yeah, the molds definitely still exist but some parts probably need restoring if they go the full retro treatment.   Dirt Track Racecars did the coupe and Vicky during the time 3rd parties could do exclusive runs just before Round2 took over.   Looks like they still have some left.  http://www.dirttrackracecars.com/OrderModels.htm   All those DTR "jalopy" kits were just the standard AMT kits with instructions on how to modify into a jalopy racer.  

I would have thought Ebay would be full of them.  Maybe it is time for a reissue! 

Yeah, the molds definitely still exist but some parts probably need restoring if they go the full retro treatment.   Dirt Track Racecars did the coupe and Vicky during the time 3rd parties could do exclusive runs just before Round2 took over.   Looks like they still have some left.  http://www.dirttrackracecars.com/OrderModels.htm   All those DTR "jalopy" kits were just the standard AMT kits with instructions on how to modify into a jalopy racer.  

I would have thought Ebay would be full of them.  Maybe it is time for a reissue! 

I picked up a couple of those kits to build the racecar versions of this kit - as you correctly state they don't feature the parts shown on the box.  Would've been cool if they did!  Still a good source for this kit though, until we see a reissue!

I was always kinda interested in this kit too, but Lord only knows what this thing actually looks like inside the box

53493Pink_Panther.jpg

Pretty sure that one's the old Monogram Super Modified.

Not that bad a kit - http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/70865-don-edmunds-supermodified-reissue/  

They've also done other kits of some of the Lindberg modifieds and AMT modifieds, its the '32 Ford kits that used the stock kits. 

I'm also a fan of the AMT Deuces especially the Victoria and Phaeton versions as they are the only ones in 1/25. Both kits offer the multipiece chassis rather than the all molded into one that is used in the Roadster (that was their first kit). I found that the current R/M chassis parts are easily adaptable to the AMT frames, plus one can use their hot rodding knowledge to good use by splitting the wishbone on the stock kits, just like the old days. Recently I've built a fenderless Vicky and have the Phaeton as a current WIP.

Below one can see the differences between the mostly stock chassis and the modified one using the R/M front suspension with the stock wishbones split front and rear. It would be fairly easy to switch in a different rear end, maybe on the next one...

By the way, the super mod track racer is based on the original Don Edmond kit from Monogram and is in 1/24 scale, another good basic kit from the old days.

Cheers Misha

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

I too still love AMT's '32 Fords. And luckily have at least one of each body style sitting in my collection unbuilt. I also have at least one of each of Revell's '32 Fords too. I love '32 Fords! Stock or modified. The one I'd like to get my hands on is the old MPC '32 Ford sedan delivery. I have the Switchers sedan, but need the sedan delivery. I wonder what happened to that one?

Scott

I'm also a fan of the AMT Deuces especially the Victoria and Phaeton versions as they are the only ones in 1/25. Both kits offer the multipiece chassis rather than the all molded into one that is used in the Roadster (that was their first kit). I found that the current R/M chassis parts are easily adaptable to the AMT frames, plus one can use their hot rodding knowledge to good use by splitting the wishbone on the stock kits, just like the old days. Recently I've built a fenderless Vicky and have the Phaeton as a current WIP.

Below one can see the differences between the mostly stock chassis and the modified one using the R/M front suspension with the stock wishbones split front and rear. It would be fairly easy to switch in a different rear end, maybe on the next one...

By the way, the super mod track racer is based on the original Don Edmond kit from Monogram and is in 1/24 scale, another good basic kit from the old days.

Cheers Misha

Great insight, thanks Misha!

I too still love AMT's '32 Fords. And luckily have at least one of each body style sitting in my collection unbuilt. I also have at least one of each of Revell's '32 Fords too. I love '32 Fords! Stock or modified. The one I'd like to get my hands on is the old MPC '32 Ford sedan delivery. I have the Switchers sedan, but need the sedan delivery. I wonder what happened to that one?

Scott

Me too!  Can't beat a Deuce!  I wouldn't mind one of those MPC 32 sedans either, I've seen a few on eBay but they're usually more than I can justify

I also love the AMT 32s and have fond memories of gluing them together while watching "Shock Theater." (Yes, I'm old.)

Couple of weeks ago at a local swap meet, I found the 32 Roadster kit shown below (along with the original 40 Coupe) for a very good price.  The first owner broke one of the Roadster's chrome wire wheels putting it into the tire. Otherwise it's perfect with most parts still on the sprues.

417_1.jpg

417_2.jpg

I love the old AMT kits too, and have been doing a lot of different things with them over the years...mostly salvaged gluebombs (though I've picked up some unmolested kits when the price has been right)

Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford    Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford    Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford

And a few more...  Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford      Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford    Image result for ace-garageguy 32 ford

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I may have a spare chrome '32 wheel - do you need the front side or the back?

Thanks so much for the offer.  But I found one yesterday in my Tire & Wheel Stash. It just took a little looking.  (I needed a back side, with the axle hole.)

As it turns out, the kit was also missing the drag slicks, which I somehow failed to notice before. I also found a pair of those, in the "Generic AMT Drag Slicks" Ziploc bag.  I've had several of these kits over the years, but really want to keep this one.

The WPA was a productive social program. There were parks and bridges and other improvements built around the country.

From the program information:

The stated goal of public building programs was to end the depression or, at least, alleviate its worst effects," sociologist Robert D. Leighninger asserted. "Millions of people needed subsistence incomes. Work relief was preferred over public assistance (the dole) because it maintained self-respect, reinforced the work ethic, and kept skills sharp.

This was a much better program than welfare as it gave people work and taught skills.  I think the public would have a fit today if we tried this!

• 3 years later...

Odd that Round2 has yet to reissue the iconic AMT '32 Ford 5-Window kit, almost 15 years now after they acquired the AMT assets. Perhaps the last run of kits though DTR introduced some problems?

My vote for reissue box art if a reissue happens:

sl160064-vi.jpg

DTR is probably still sitting on some of the coupe kits, because RC2 (not Round 2) ran off a bunch of them for Walmart's budget series that sold for under eight bucks.  DTR probably paid more than that for the kits they were trying to sell at the same time. 

Then again, DTR's sales strategy wasn't the most brilliant.  Some of those kits had the original box art when few of the optional parts pictured were actually in the box, others had the "jalopy" packaging that again showed parts that were sold separately.

You have to think RM Deuces killed those in marketplace too. I still like the AMT because Deuce. Still have about 10 AMT in progress for the 70th anniversary. Umm, missed that badly. 

DTR kits were ripoff, thread around here. Mark and Casey know more than I ever will about them. I've never seen the Snake Eyes box. That's worthy of a reissue.

4 minutes ago, keyser said:

You have to think RM Deuces killed those in marketplace too. I still like the AMT because Deuce.

Exactly why I am a bit surprised they have yet to be reissued. No matter how crude or primitive. they'd likely sell out if packaged in a Boomer-appealing box. Revell's '32 Ford 3- and 5-window kits are long since gone from the retail level, so seems like a good time to mold 5,000 kits,