Model Cars Magazine Forum

New from Airtrax! 1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

I spent quite a bit of time chatting with Tapani and Juha Airio of Airtrax, who flew all the way from Helsinki Finland with a couple of trunk loads of goodies--this one REALLY grabbed my attention on the Factory Stock table at NNL-East:  1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe!   They had just the one builtup on display (I placed my paid order at their table!), and frankly, I think it's plum gorgeous!  (Fits the Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental kt)

ARt

1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe by Airtrax 1.jpg

1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe by Airtrax2.jpg

I saw one of those bodies this weekend....the conversion is well done for the most part.. but it is a very thick casting and wil require quite a bit of work to look as nice as the one pictured.

A friend of mine is "fixing" it thinning the inside of the roof, filling sinks in the body sides and redoing the window openings/frames.  Perhaps a new casting could be made to save others all that work.

The proportions are nearly perfect so it's well worth fixing the few short comings... 

Edited by mike 51

Wow, I've seen that build at a local Model Car Show around here and I was quietly hoping that some day we'll see a resin kit of this! Now this is some great news! Usually AirTrax is selling some damaged bodies at local show in side of selling the complete kits, so if I see a Lincoln body in there I'll be sure to buy one. I see a Lead Sled coming...

• 2 weeks later...

You say that Airtrax 1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe  fits the Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental kit.

I'm surprised because I thought the Continental wheelbase was longer than the Zephyr wheelbase.

So, how can it fit ?

Or perhaps, am I wrong ?

You say that Airtrax 1941 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe  fits the Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental kit.

I'm surprised because I thought the Continental wheelbase was longer than the Zephyr wheelbase.

So, how can it fit ?

Or perhaps, am I wrong ?

Maybe you are wrong PhilX... 1941 Continental 125in, 1941 Zephyr 125in. The first generation Zephyr may have had 3in shorter wb, but as the Conti was based on Zephyr, they used the same chassis. However, you are not totally wrong, because the Conti had longer hood and front fenders. It also was lower, achieved by slicing a piece away at waist line. So, they  also moved the windshield back, lowered the seats and used the same steering wheel shaft, that automatically moved rearwards, as it was tilted into a lower angle. This is what I reckon they did anyway to achieve the "Mustangesque" proportions nearly 25 years before Mustang. :)

I dunno bout y'all but Monogram's 1941 Lincoln has become sorta hard to find .... I would like to do one of these as coupes and sedans were much more prevalent than a convertible during this era .

Don't you all have a couple of unbuilt or kid built Monogram Continentals in the closet? ;)

I saw one of those bodies this weekend....the conversion is well done for the most part.. but it is a very thick casting and wil require quite a bit of work to look as nice as the one pictured.

A friend of mine is "fixing" it thinning the inside of the roof, filling sinks in the body sides and redoing the window openings/frames.  Perhaps a new casting could be made to save others all that work.

The proportions are nearly perfect so it's well worth fixing the few short comings... 

The thick part of the casting will be hidden in the trunk... I didn't make it any thinner in my build. It's hiding in there... I admit, I can't cast Lego-style click-click-quality stuff, but I am trying my best. And is that even the idea, really? Must leave something for the builder to fix to keep it interesting, huh? Anyway, Thank you all for your nice comments!

Maybe you are wrong PhilX... 1941 Continental 125in, 1941 Zephyr 125in. The first generation Zephyr may have had 3in shorter wb, but as the Conti was based on Zephyr, they used the same chassis. However, you are not totally wrong, because the Conti had longer hood and front fenders. It also was lower, achieved by slicing a piece away at waist line. So, they  also moved the windshield back, lowered the seats and used the same steering wheel shaft, that automatically moved rearwards, as it was tilted into a lower angle. This is what I reckon they did anyway to achieve the "Mustangesque" proportions nearly 25 years before Mustang. :)

Thank you for these very clear explanations Tapani.

As I have an unbuilt Continental kit, perhaps I will buy the Zephyr body if available.

Another question : wich car is it on the left of the second picture (dark red roadster) ?

• 2 weeks later...