Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic Car model forums?

I wouldn't mind having a breakdown either. Just opining here, but, something like:

Earliest through the Teens, - for those historical pieces 

20's through 1942,  - for the pre-war (from a U.S. perpective), birth of the V8, and some really well styled cars

1943 through 1964, - Post-war, the Boomer years, big chrome and tail fins

1965 - ? - The birth of the muscle car through the wretched excesses of the American land yachts

and some other arbitrary date ranges to round it out.

Of course that might lead to discussions like where to put a 1925 Ford that represents a late 50's hot rod build, and what about cars from outside the U.S.? Do those kind of dates jibe with what was going on automotively around the world?

Also have to take into account the overhead involved in setting it up, administering it, policing it, etc. Seems easy from the outside, but I've been a site admin, and a forum admin, before. I started back in the days of the dial-up BBS, and even that took a lot of a time.  So, while I might like to see more granularity in the breakdown, I'm also happy to have a forum as good as this one is, that has such knowledgeable and talented members who are more about promoting the hobby than trash-talking.  As Dennis Miller used to say, "But, that's just my opinion".

Cadillac started using v8 engines in 1914. Olds started in 1916 and Chevrolet had one in 1917-18. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_engine.

The Cadillac LaSalle, designed by Harley Earl, started a new era of American automobile styling. The cars of this era, from 1929 to 1942, are the ones that most interest me. This was during the Art Deco Era, so I alway think of them in that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaSalle_(automobile)

Edited by my66s55

I wouldn't mind having a breakdown either. Just opining here, but, something like:

20's through 1942,  - for the pre-war (from a U.S. perpective), birth of the V8, and some really well styled cars

1965 - ? - The birth of the muscle car through the wretched excesses of the American land yachts

Of course that might lead to discussions like where to put a 1925 Ford that represents a late 50's hot rod build, and what about cars from outside the U.S.? Do those kind of dates jibe with what was going on automotively around the world?

Also have to take into account the overhead involved in setting it up, administering it, policing it, etc. Seems easy from the outside, but I've been a site admin, and a forum admin, before. I started back in the days of the dial-up BBS, and even that took a lot of a time.  So, while I might like to see more granularity in the breakdown, I'm also happy to have a forum as good as this one is, that has such knowledgeable and talented members who are more about promoting the hobby than trash-talking.  As Dennis Miller used to say, "But, that's just my opinion".

Okay, to keep it simple, Pre ww2 and earlier from anywhere on earth, and stock.  Nothing wrong with hot rods and post war stuff, and I build both, but there are already plenty of forums that cater to them.  

I'm not dissing this forum, or any others, but there are specialty forums that catered to other automotive niche interests.  I was just curious if one existed that catered to this one.

Richard, did you check out this forum?   http://automotion.myfastforum.org/ .

I joined there years ago, but haven't visited in quite some time. They do some interesting work.

I got pointed to that one by someone who's post somehow got sent over to another thread.  Browsing through the galleries right now

I can understand having a thread dedicated to subject most dear to your heart, but consider these items...

-Even when Harry P was here and active, there was no special section for "vintage" vehicles, which would have been a "no brainer" considering Harry's demonstrated preference for vintage vehicles.

-Forum users already seem to have a problem posting in threads most appropriate to their posting subject. (I.E., if you are posting WIP/Under Glass of a truck/pickup, it should be posted to the "trucks" threads....right?)

-You may be missing a piece of needed info or building tip if you are only browsing your favorite thread.

I have to agree with Allen on this one. To round out his last category, I would say end it at 1976. Because in '77 most of the manufacturers began to badge-engineer their cars, making only relatively minor trim and equipment changes to identify one brand from another within the company instead of letting each marque have it's own identity. So, that would eliminate the idea of an arbitrary cut-off year. Also, having been involved with showing cars for many years, I am well-versed in the CCCA's idea of what a "Classic" is, and it really doesn't make alot of sense to anybody not involved with them. An example would be that a Ford Model T or Model A from the 1920's and '30's is considered to be a classic by almost everyone, except the CCCA. On the other hand, a Lincoln from that same time period is considered a classic by the CCCA, but only if it was built a by custom body builder, the "standard" Lincolns that were built at the Lincoln factory are not considered classics! I could go on, but I've probably rambled on for too long already!

So will cars from the cars from '70s or '80s will be considered antique or classic when they become 50 years old (or older), or will they never achieve that status?  It seems that while the time marches on (it is now the year 2017) the dates defining "antique" or "classic" cars seem to be static.

For example, will my 1985 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz be considered an antique in 2085? :)  At that time all we'll have left will probably be self-driving cars to ride in. :wacko::wacko:

Edited by peteski

If you follow the CCCA's guidelines, a car is not considered a Classic until it is nominated for that status by a board member, and it is approved unanimously by the entire board. To even be considered for nomination the car has to have been built in 1948 or earlier, and had a production run of no more than about 1,000 cars. So very, very few cars are actually considered true Classics, and none have been elected to that status in many years! As far as antique, most states in the U.S. consider a car an Antique as soon as it is 26 model years old, as long as it still retains a majority stock appearance, engine, etc. At that time you can register the car with a license plate from the Year of Manufacture, but it can only be driven to or from a repair facility, or on Sunday to or from a show or parade within 50 miles of your residence. To make it even more confusing, all states, as well as the federal government, consider any item, no matter what it is, to be an Antique once it has reached 100 years old. (and they can no longer charge sales tax on it.)

Richard, that's why I usually will go Antique-Classics. On those I go by the old break for Antique being 1948 and prior, since overall that's pretty much the breakpoint were the continued pre-WW2 designs were replaced with new designs.

I love 48 and prior cars.