Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Fast and the Furious '70 Charger WIP

marv13

Hey Vi!?!  I have to ask a question, are you using a

a 392 Hemi? Or some variant of that motor?

I have been trying to figure out why the motor is

wired backwards?  Or why the distributor is in the

back of the blower?  Just curious sir!!

David S.

Hi yes, the motor in the movie car from what I heard was race motor that belonged to one of the crew members, and is a GEN 1 Hemi, most likely a 392 or 331.  On those engines the distributor was in the back, I had an epiphany about this while looking for reference photos, its from a revell 41 Willys kit! 

the movie car didn't have a hemi in it had a chevy hence the reverse wiring the car sitting in the garage was a mockup

Well that famous close up shot is a gen 1 hemi, and i think most of the stunt cars had mopar engines in them too. First gen hemis had the distributor in the back, 

mikes392hemi2371.jpg

brads392hemiproject121.jpg

ok we're both on it lol one was indeed a blown 528 one was a mock up and the stunt car's had LS3 crate engine's yours is looking good so far bud

the 528 mock up was from the 4th movie, and ls3s in the stunt chargers were only being used from fast 6 and up 

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing a great job so far and I will be watching to see how it turns out.

I was looking a this pic from the first movie and by the looks of the oil pan it is a big block Mopar  engine (383, 400 or 440) and the block is blue so it's not a 426 HEMI, the early HEMI's had a different oil pan and the ls3 had a different oil pan. The transmission is a 727 3speed auto. 

I hope this helps 

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

You are doing a great job so far and I will be watching to see how it turns out.

I was looking a this pic from the first movie and by the looks of the oil pan it is a big block Mopar  engine (383, 400 or 440) and the block is blue so it's not a 426 HEMI, the early HEMI's had a different oil pan and the ls3 had a different oil pan. The transmission is a 727 3speed auto. 

I hope this helps 

image.jpg

image.jpg

well that's a stunt car i don't think any of the stunt cars ever had a hemi,  the car in the garage scene had an engine plopped in for show, and actually belonged to a production person.   im going based on the engine from the garage scene which is most definitely a gen 1 hemi 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 9:04 PM, High octane said:

I believe that Pro Tech offers them and the service is great as I just received an order from them last week.

I'll take a look, I already found some wire for fuel lines and I want to try make the valve myself

• 6 months later...