Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm working on this kit.

I'm posting this WIP hoping folks who know more about this vehicle than I do can help me with detailing it. This kit might be a piece of cake for real modellers, but it's pretty challenging for me. There are 64 pieces in this chassis alone.

Based on the images I'm finding online, everything on the chassis is black. That's OK, if kinda boring. Does anyone know if there are any other finishes on a 1:1 Unimog chassis?

I have that same kit Hugh...mine was missing the tires and wheels when I got it...its a highly detailed kit.

Thanks, Mark. The tires are hollow and were stuck together and slightly deformed when I opened them. I have them temporarily on the wheel and I hope they will come back into shape. They are cool tires, I might make a resin copy of them for some other project.

I drove one of those 35 years ago and they were an incredible vehicle, nothing got in my way! The one I drove was left over from the 80 Olympics in Lake Placid NY and had multiple attachments- snow plow, forklift, loader bucket- and I used them all!

The chassis were painted black and the only variances on them was from weathering or rust and matte black was the correct shade. The interior was very sparse and was painted an off color orange. Seats were black and not the most comfortable but the vehicle was not designed as a luxury vehicle despite it's MB heritage.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Thanks, Mark. The tires are hollow and were stuck together and slightly deformed when I opened them. I have them temporarily on the wheel and I hope they will come back into shape. They are cool tires, I might make a resin copy of them for some other project.

Yeah I have been itching to build mine due to the level of detail....got it at a store and sealed but did not open it till a year later and found it missing them...I have to get better about opening them when I get them in the future.

I drove one of those 35 years ago and they were an incredible vehicle, nothing got in my way! The one I drove was left over from the 80 Olympics in Lake Placid NY and had multiple attachments- snow plow, forklift, loader bucket- and I used them all!

The chassis were painted black and the only variances on them was from weathering or rust and matte black was the correct shade. The interior was very sparse and was painted an off color orange. Seats were black and not the most comfortable but the vehicle was not designed as a luxury vehicle despite it's MB heritage.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Thanks, Mike, that helps a lot. In the photos I have seen, it looks like the interior sheet metal is body color, black dash and seats. Sort of green/gray for the engine. The kit instructions call for tan seats (leather?), but I have not seen a reference for that yet.

It definitely looks like the ultimate "go anywhere" machine!

Yeah I have been itching to build mine due to the level of detail....got it at a store and sealed but did not open it till a year later and found it missing them...I have to get better about opening them when I get them in the future.

That's a bummer. I almost sounds like the kit was tampered with. The wheels should have been on the parts tree. The tires were in a separate bag, so could have been left out. Maybe Revell would replace them?

It is a detailed kit and challenging but fun. I am making some progress and should have a rolling chassis with engine soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been slowly pecking away at this thing. The chassis is done, and most of the cleanup for the bed, salt spreader, cab and interior. The next step is installing the opening doors, a first for me. We'll see if they end up glued shut.;)

The tires are hollow and really thin, so I put a piece of foam pipe insulation inside each tire.

DSCN1493_zpsjkwdnqfd.jpg

Here is the rolling chassis.

DSCN1495_zpsu1ovn61s.jpg

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

Thanks Mike,  I bet they were really front heavy with that plow on there. I'll ponder on how to add some ballast.

I finally figured out Fotki, so I put up a thread in Under Glass.

Yes they were Hugh, I could bounce the rear end like a basketball! Our plow Unimog had a flatbed  so we loaded some scrap engines for ballast. The Uni that had the end loader had a factory steel block for ballast, as did our forklift, that weighed about 1,500 lbs., and we did not have a problem with it.

I would cut some thick pieces of styrene and give them the rust treatment and stack them in the bed to simulate steel plates. A friend of mine did that with the plow truck pickups we used instead of weighing them down with sand or stone. That spreader that comes with that kit would be more than enough weight for ballast.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Yes they were Hugh, I could bounce the rear end like a basketball! Our plow Unimog had a flatbed  so we loaded some scrap engines for ballast. The Uni that had the end loader had a factory steel block for ballast, as did our forklift, that weighed about 1,500 lbs., and we did not have a problem with it.

I would cut some thick pieces of styrene and give them the rust treatment and stack them in the bed to simulate steel plates. A friend of mine did that with the plow truck pickups we used instead of weighing them down with sand or stone. That spreader that comes with that kit would be more than enough weight for ballast.

That's an amusing picture, bouncing it like a basketball! After your comment, I was thinking about adding a load of gravel, but your steel plate idea is interesting too.