Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is sending shock waves through NASCAR Nation.  The perennial fan favorite driver leaving the sport is  coming at a crossroads for NASCAR.  Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and now Jr.  Many old-school fans not happy about segment racing, attendance is down.  People have been pointing to the sparse crowd at Bristol this past weekend but I think that was more a function of a rain date race, still it's a cause for worry. 

It was pretty easy to see Jr's retirement coming however, given his recent medical issues.  

I have been a huge fan of his Dad, Earnhardt Sr. after he passed I kind of watched it... Have been a fan of Jr. as well as Kenseth!!!! But now this year and this whole segment racing idea???? I'm done watching it!!!

this segment idea has totally taken the steam out of the race and is so lack luster that I don't even care for it anymore! 

Ill be watching my short track modified and sprint racing now, and even watch drag racing more often now!!!!! Not much of a fan of the corporate controlled NASCAR anymore!!!!! 

Good to see him get out on his own terms and that he discovered there's life after racing.

Jr. is easily my #1 favourite active driver. His leaving will leave a big hole to fill as I'm sure he's the reason a lot of fans still watch. Hopefully, the new guys like Elliot. Larson and Blayney can pick up the slack, 'cause the Kyle Buschs and Joey Lagonos of the sport can't keep people coming back.

In one respect it is a loss having Jr. retire from driving, but is still a team owner and he may very well expand on that. There is always the possibility of becoming a broadcaster like Jeff Gorden. I live within 5 miles of Kansas Speedway and was in the stands during the Tire Test when he crashed. With the problems he has had with head trauma and what we are all learning about it now I think he is doing what is best for himself for the rest of his life. I like many others will miss him as a driver, but I think the quality of his life is far more important than any sport be it NASCAR or the NFL . AS for the Segment Racing mentioned by others I have just one question. WHAT THE #@*% ARE THEY THINKING ????? 

The sport is going through a generational transition as it has from its start.  With Johnson, Harvick, Kenseth, Bowyer and possibly Newman all over 40, the next few years will see the retirements continue.  The shelf life of a driver seems to be about 45 these days as the experienced drivers no longer have a monopoly on good equipment.  With the way Gordon and Stewart drove in their last few years, that age seems to hold up as the competitive limit for most of them.

As far as Earnhardt, Jr. is concerned, I am glad to see him leave the sport when he chooses.  He has had a few nasty concussions over the past few years, and as we have seen with football players, it does not have to take too many of these before real problems set in.

As far as the future is concerned with his fans, he is a car owner.  I imagine a lot of them will gravitate to his teams, particularly if he can move them up to the Cup level.  I am sure Rick Hendrick will offer his support if Junior decides this is what he wants to do.  So he will have immediate access to sponsorship money, drivers and equipment.  I can also guarantee it that Chevrolet will pony up the necessary support as well.  They will not want to see an Earnhardt associated with anything but their cars with everything that last name has done for their car brand.

With regard to the comments on the segment racing, I don't see the problem.  After the first dozen laps or so, the race settled into the drivers turning laps and positioning themselves for the last quarter of the race and then they went for everything they could get.  Now with points on the line, they have to race in this part of the race.  I have certainly seen the intensity level pick up when they approach the end of a segment.  Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I do not see how that is bad.

Glad to see JR retire before in turned global. The race goes on when everyone before him retired or worse that will never change. Well as long as NASCAR is afloat. 

The two things NASCAR changed this year has me watching more and complaining less. Wrecked cars are off the track and the stage racing keeps you watching more of the race. Normaly most of us only watch the last 10 or so in the chair. The rest of the time you are in and out of the race. When it is on FOX that is all I can stand of the Hendrick commercial anyway, love the mute button. LOL 

Empty stands are the pure product of over pricing from all involved.