Model Cars Magazine Forum

3-wheeled Ford for 2017 GSL

chepp

IMG_3387-3390sm.thumb.jpg.9fd656451fd6d8

Here's an AMT 1960 Ford Starliner with a Revell Roth Beatnik Bandit bubble top and interior.

IMG_3383-3389sm.thumb.jpg.de5ae3fbd19627

To me it's sorta goofy and sorta interesting but I haven't made up my mind about it. It has some significant shortcomings in design and workmanship. Even though it's a "20 footer," we'll see if it attracts any attention at GSL XXVI. Feel free to make comments, positive, negative or otherwise.

See the build thread at http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121481-3-wheeled-ford-for-2017-gsl/ .

IMG_3392sm.thumb.jpg.12ad1a830e68bd85c11

Congrats, and honored to meet you! Took these pics yesterday at the awards banquet (li'l blurry) and afterward when everyone was packing up. Honored to provide the inspiration for the build, and it sure had the look of a Klingon Kruiser to me!

K-Kruiser_Award.thumb.jpg.18c2cffd001029

Thanks, all, for the positive comments and especially to Russell C for the inspiration* and for posting the award pix. Sorry for the late reply but I've just gotten home from GSL (my wife and I visited five national parks and Hoover Dam in the six days after the event in Salt Lake City).

The award is from the Metroplex Car Modelers Association in the Dallas, TX area and was presented by member Len Woodruff. I couldn't find the criteria for the award, but it's essentially the club's choice of the GSL entry that was the most "out of this world." Thanks, guys!

In searching for the criteria, I came across this advice on how to win at GSL: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/category/shows/ .  It's by Jairus Watson from the July 2007 issue of Model Cars Magazine. He suggests "if you are looking for a relatively easy class win, then look to enter in something a little less populated... Other awards generally not concentrated on by other competitors are the Klingon Cruiser Award." Also, "it should be sharp and brightly colored in order to be noticed...", "Build something different and make it unique..." and "One way to get your car noticed is so obvious that many guys forget to do this, and that is to put your car on the edge of the table. YES, really!" By coincidence I did these things but this entry was not a serious attempt at building something that would be a winner in a real GSL class.

*Actually, I had built the body in 2011. Later, learning of Russell's entries at GSL events I figured, hey, I already have a three-wheeled Ford so I'll just re-paint it yellow and build a chassis for it.