Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy Ferrari 250 LM 1:24

Funkychiken

This was a really simple kit from Academy. It's not really detailed, but builds into a nice but basic model. No engine detail.

It's not really finished, the lenses need to be added, but they are terrible, they look like goggles & distort the lights underneath, so I've going to do something with them later.

For now, it's on display! There is a WIP post in the appropriate place if you're interested...

Comments welcome.

20170408_171214.jpg

IMG_8657.JPG

20170408_171220.jpg

20170408_171225.jpg

20170408_171312.jpg

20170408_171330.jpg

20170408_171432.jpg

20170408_171436.jpg

20170408_171445.jpg

20170408_171552.jpg

20170408_171616.jpg

Thanks all for the kind comments!

Fantastic job... I have one of these to dig into. It's such a beautiful car, and you've done it justice. Are those the kit wheels, and if so, care to share how you made them look so good? ;-P

bestest,

M.

Matt, yes they were kit weeks, I de-chromed them in bleach, them sprayed them steel, and finally gave them a wash with Indian ink. I left the wing nuts in chrome as supplied by the factory, the reference pics I have show a difference between the spokes and the nut...

Edited by Funkychiken

Always like that 250 LM and the 275 LM. Yours turns out great. Wheels look good, paint and overall detail is really nicely done. Have you considered vacuum forming some light covers? That may be the best way to get some clear looking lenses.

Thanks for all the comments!

Always like that 250 LM and the 275 LM. Yours turns out great. Wheels look good, paint and overall detail is really nicely done. Have you considered vacuum forming some light covers? That may be the best way to get some clear looking lenses.

Just a thought, but if you have any clear easter egg packaging left, there's almost always a double curvature somewhere on an egg shape that will allow you to cut out light covers that fit!

All the best,

M.

I will try and use some clean sheet plastic from a shirt that I purchased recently, unfortunately I didn't get any easter eggs this year!

thanks for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

I have that kit!  I was disappointed there is no engine, but would bet there is an aftermarket kit somewhere (like for the 330 P4).
You did a great job with it.
I was going to suggest vacuum forming the covers, don't need the vacuum box, just mount the kit parts on sticks, heat plastic on the stove, and then stretch.