Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy Ford/Chevy Day!

• 11 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, Snake45 said:

Yes, and I've seen hundreds of them since the last time I saw one of THOSE things! B):lol:

Yes Chevrolet had a 427, as did the Ford you show in the picture. But how many of those race based 427 overhead cam engines were in the cars in the showroom that we all buy our cars from?? Ford offered an FE based 427 in a couple of different horse power ratings and some were pretty stout. I have owned a few 427 Chevrolets back in the day and they were very good engines. My last one was a special ordered Bel Air 2 door with the 385 H.P. version with a 4 speed and positraction. The lower H.P. rated engine was the only way I could get Air Conditioning on the car. This was a daily driver and even used to tow a travel trailer. I actually got a speeding ticket for passing a tanker truck on a hill in Oregon. I was in the designated passing lane but I was going over 70 M.P.H. and they really didn't like that. The Chevrolet 427 that started as a 396 and ended at 454 C.I. was a very reliable engine that with the optional high performance versions being a very well respected race engine also.      

3 hours ago, espo said:

But how many of those race based 427 overhead cam engines were in the cars in the showroom that we all buy our cars from??

None.
The 427 SOHC was not on the option list and you could only get one over the counter if you had the right connections in 1964-65.
But you could get a 427 from 1963½ to 1968,  single 4 bbl rated at 390 hp and 410 hp, and dual 4 bbl rated at 425 hp...but they were closer to 426 than 427 at 425.98 cui.

Chevrolet had three different 427's in the 60's, the Mk I 409 W engine based 427 Z-11 in 1963, the Mk II 427 "mystery engine" also in 1963 and none of them were available in showroom cars, and the Mk IV "rat engine" based 427 from 1966-forward wich everyone could buy.

Edited by Force

On 2017-04-29 at 4:52 PM, Jon Haigwood said:

There are two kinds of engines (not motors, motors are electric) Engines that are Hemis and engines that want to be Hemis

Here is a definition of the word Motor I found quoted from a dictionary.
"a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts"
So it can be either, and you say Motor Club, Motor Vehicle, Motor Oil, Motor Racing, Motor Sport, Motor Home, Motorcycle,  and so on...and all are not electric or meant to be.
And isn't the name Mopar a contraction of MOtor and PARts.

The definition of the word Engine in the same dictionary is: "a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion".
Locomotives are often refered to as engines, they can be powered by steam, electricity or diesel...or both electricity and diesel as most diesel locomotives are.

Edited by Force

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...