Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first major kitbash..... '71/'73 Chargers

JollySipper

What I've done up to this point is to cut the engine bay from the '71 Charger..... I'll be using the chassis, engine bay, drive train, and such from the AMT kit. The interior won't be correct (the wood grain on the door panels is different between the two years) and I'll probably have to trim the bottoms of the door panels a bit.

Gonna need to get some half-round for the trim around the top and along the rockers........

Wish me Luck, Thanks!

Nice work grafting the 71 guts into the 74. I have the same kits and I was planning to do the very same conversion . So I will be watching with great interest

Thanks, Friend.... The only thing I've found out to watch for so far is where the engine bay is located. The locator pins on the chassis mount to the inner fenders, and where they are determines where the wheels are in the wells.....

I used the MPC Super charger kit with the ERTL 1971 Charger for Burn Notice. Took a lot of cutting and sanding didn't fit that well.

burn notice.jpg

Bob Ellis, when I saw your picture, I did a double take. I thought you somehow got a picture of my Burn Notice Charger.

Looking good so far. That is a conversion I plan to do in the future on a '72 as well as a '74 Charger. I did the conversion on a '74 Roadrunner, and it worked out great. I bought several '71 Chargers while they were cheap, and I am glad I did, as I have several projects where they are used as the base kit.

Looking good so far. That is a conversion I plan to do in the future on a '72 as well as a '74 Charger. I did the conversion on a '74 Roadrunner, and it worked out great. I bought several '71 Chargers while they were cheap, and I am glad I did, as I have several projects where they are used as the base kit.

Hey, Ron....... Whatever you do, don't get the Dirty Donnie version of this kit! Soooo much flash...... The decals are cool tho.....

Hey, Ron....... Whatever you do, don't get the Dirty Donnie version of this kit! Soooo much flash...... The decals are cool tho.....

To me, for what I will do with it, the Dirty Donnie version costs too much, and is moulded in Orange, which is a deal breaker for me. I agree with you, it does have a nice set of decals. I have built two '71 Chargers so far.