Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda Accord, Muscle Car?

Now this is a Honda Civic the way I would build one, if I were into Honda Civic's. So tastefully done! It reminds me very much of a guy who was in my senior class back in '98. He and his older brother built a factory no-option a/c-delete (HX?) Civic hatch that was very tasteful and pretty quick. It had a worked-over 1.8 Integra engine n/a that was good for low - 12's on slicks (pretty good back then.) The exterior was completely stock, plain white with tinted windows, lowered just right with a camber-correction kit out back, Integra directional polished wheels and a modest 2.5" stainless exhaust tip. Speaking of exhaust, I don't know what it had but it was also the cleanest sounding, least obnoxious  Honda exhaust I'd ever heard.

The only Civic I've ever liked.  

Thieves and thugs? Oh well, I'm considering the source.

Am I supposed to think otherwise of the likes of the Hell's Angels, the Banditos or the Son's of Silence?

There's quite a difference between a "biker gang" & a "biker club".

I've spent time around both.

Steve

Considering the V6 is only available in the top trim level, I wouldn't call it a muscle car. I would go with some type of GT car. Leather, climate control, power everything. I lean more to the import side, I've owned mainly Honda's for past 28 years. Ricer is a little derogatory in my opinion. Don't really like tuner either.  To get horsepower from most of today's cars takes a "tune".  I still somewhat consider muscle car as any RWD/AWD " traditional big 3 sedan/coupe with good power. As was stated earlier, most any performance oriented car/truck/SUV will run rings around old school muscle cars.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE too have one

There is nothing "muscle" about a Jap car, period.

Muscle Car is what Bill showed right up front on the 1st page of this topic.  Lets say generally '63 to '70, at the latest.

Intermediate cars got bigger, more powerful motors with a somewhat fitting drivetrain that were able to smoke tires at will, they hauled azz, and braked terribly, and were road ready as long as the curves weren't too twisty.  I always thought GM cars were better built with nicer features, Mopars were quicker, and Fords were too heavy and funky looking.

What a thrill!  They were all great.

The era ended with smog control, period.

these "jap" cars, as you so eloquently say, each make more "muscle" than you have ever owned in your entire life......period. if they got more "muscle " why shouldn't they be muscle cars if they want?  you guys act like you own the words "muscle car". jesus, you all can't even agree on the definition.

these "jap" cars, as you so eloquently say, each make more "muscle" than you have ever owned in your entire life......period. if they got more "muscle " why shouldn't they be muscle cars if they want?  you guys act like you own the words "muscle car". jesus, you all can't even agree on the definition.

I don't see that anyone is disputing the fact that plenty of Japanese cars have plenty of "muscle".

What is being disputed is that the term "muscle car" was coined to refer to a particular type of vehicle from a particular point in history (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car   ) and does not encompass late-model heavily-Asian-influenced 2-doors with relatively large engines and front-wheel-drive.

Why does the Honda in question HAVE to be a "muscle car"? Can't it just be a lightish car with a kinda powerful engine, and not try to me-too me-too piggyback on a quite well defined concept? Sure, it's kinda sorta like a muscle car if you stretch the concept enough, but it just doesn't fit all the criteria to BE one.

It's like this. The "Bauhaus" school of art and architecture is from a particular place and time, and represents a particular stylistic vision. Though things may be done later in a derivative or similar style, while influenced by Bauhaus, kinda like Bauhaus, evocative of Bauhaus, or carrying on the Bauhaus philosophy, they are still NOT Bauhaus.

Far as I'm really concerned though, who cares? A fast car is a fast car, no matter how you make it fast or what you call it.  :D

I'm not really sure why threads like this, which was started with the intention of having a good & spirited conversation, have to wind up degrading into people throwing around derogatory language.

I think if we wouldn't feel comfortable calling someone of Japanese descent a "Jap" to his face, perhaps we should refrain.

For the most part I think this discussion has been interesting & respectful, but this may be a good point for the moderators to lock the thread before things spiral out of hand......again!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• Xingu locked this topic