Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cal-Look Karmann Ghia

jaymcminn

If I were going to build a 1:1 Karmann Ghia, this is how I would do it... low (but not too low) and sitting on some well- chosen Fuchs wheels. Paint is Tamiya Dark Yellow and Black under Testors One Coat clear. Interior is Testors MM Leather with Scale Motorsport plaid upholstery decals. The carbs are AMT Webers with scratchbuilt linkages and manifolds and the Fuchs wheels are 15" pieces from a Fujimi Enthusiast kit... I also adapted the hubs and disc brakes from the Fujimi kit. I narrowed and lowered the suspension all the way around to get the wheels to tuck in nicely. Front seats are early Porsche 911 units and the steering wheel is a Porsche 356 Speedster Nardi wheel. I'm particularly proud of the luggage rack... it's scratchbuilt from Evergreen styrene and wood veneer and painted in Spaz-Stix chrome. Even with all the mods, the Tamiya Karmann Ghia just falls together and was a real delight to build!

P1040814_zps8ksh78en.jpg

The color looks a little more green in photos than in person, but it has a great retro feel to it. Wish that engine cover fit a little better...

P1040801_zpsdlm5d4y4.jpg

Here's a better shot of the luggage rack. I might add some P/E screws to the slats. This was actually rack #4- good thing styrene's cheap!

P1040809_zpscrse5s8g.jpg

Here's the engine bay with the Empi-esque twin Weber setup. 

P1040812_zpsix3vj9f9.jpg

A couple of shots of the interior- love those plaid seats!

P1040807_zpsdtresmg8.jpg

P1040806_zpsuacnz7vr.jpg

This was one of the most fun projects I've ever completed, and I couldn't be happier about how it turned out.

P1040798_zps5uuieymy.jpg

P1040795_zpsz4rermnn.jpg